LUNA OWNERS CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

will it work ?

+5
daz.h
littlemoon
wack 63
Snails
Thackers
9 posters

Go down

will it work ?  Empty will it work ?

Post  littlemoon Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:51 pm

will it work ?  52icmc

will it work ?  2ia635f

Cool

Last edited by littlemoon on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
littlemoon
littlemoon

Back to top Go down

will it work ?  Empty Re: will it work ?

Post  Thackers Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:56 pm

Can't see why not, you going to use that saw blade as a wheel too? Straight out of Wacky Racers Wink
Thackers
Thackers

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:38 pm

Will it fit more like!
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  wack 63 Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:52 pm

Very nice but will the crank be man enough and the wheel fit?

wack 63

Back to top Go down

Post  littlemoon Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:20 pm

new crank is on its way(will have to change the rod from 95mm to 105mm), might even have it tomorow. so crank strength should be ok. i will need a couple of mm taking off the reed stuffer and about 5mm off the inlet manifold flange to clear the back wheel i will be welding on a packer plate whicch will be pre drilled and have the transfers cut in to it. i would have to build the case up around and in the tranfers anyway so doing a pre done packer a welding on will be easier. i think the wheel clearance will be the main issue
littlemoon
littlemoon

Back to top Go down

Post  daz.h Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:07 pm

Twisted Evil

still wish i'd gone the rd80 lc route, nice small barell, reedvalve, easy to get parts. Rolling Eyes
daz.h
daz.h

Back to top Go down

Post  littlemoon Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:06 am

daz.h wrote: Twisted Evil

still wish i'd gone the rd80 lc route, nice small barell, reedvalve, easy to get parts. Rolling Eyes

nowt to stop you daz Laughing . i took a chance on this kit as i have a polini smallframe kit , stud spacing and spigot where in the right ball park ,crank induction was the big drawback. so when i saw a secondhand but nearly new smallframe parmakit 130cc reedvalve kit on ebay i thought this could work Shocked . fingers crossed and 16bhp anyone. oh and i might have solved the lack of starstream cranks aswell . will know this aft or tomorow so fingers crossed for that aswell. i only got a limited amount of info on the cranks so i bit the bullet and bought one Shocked . the only thing that gets in the way for me is a lack of time, so i have to cram as much in as i can . cheers simon
littlemoon
littlemoon

Back to top Go down

Post  daz.h Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:43 pm

its finding them starstream cranks thats a big issue.
hope your news is good.
16hp on a vega Twisted Evil
daz.h
daz.h

Back to top Go down

Post  NIGE Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:49 am

just got over the flu not had a look on site for weeks.wow simon .this might be of some help .the starstream i have seen with this kit on.the reed valve is pointing the other way .to the frame not the wheel. it will work and you will have the fastest luna in the world using a j range engine brilliant stuff simon.i will still race ya Twisted Evil Razz
NIGE
NIGE

Back to top Go down

Post  littlemoon Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:54 pm

daz.h wrote:its finding them starstream cranks thats a big issue.
hope your news is good.
16hp on a vega Twisted Evil

well its good news on the cranks, only a small mod is needed and a change of rod is required. the rod thats in the crank looks like its hand crafted from a dog turd. and the little end of the rod is the wrong size. and yes its the sunny crank available from scooter restorations at £45 and a j125 mazzercheezy rod is also available from s.r. so with the small mod and rod swap you should be able to have a complete starstream crank for less than £140. and if you are swapping the rod you could then get a better quality one. i will put some pics up and show the difference between the sunny crank and the starstream crank . whilst im on, the sunny cylinder 100cc has better port lay out than the cento and the sunny piston has thin wire rings . so another option for lui/vega/cometa and j rangers for a cheep upgrade. back to the crank the mod coulb be done without splitting but because i will be spliting my crank i will carry out the mod then. Cool
littlemoon
littlemoon

Back to top Go down

Post  littlemoon Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:01 pm

NIGE wrote:just got over the flu not had a look on site for weeks.wow simon .this might be of some help .the starstream i have seen with this kit on.the reed valve is pointing the other way .to the frame not the wheel. it will work and you will have the fastest luna in the world using a j range engine brilliant stuff simon.i will still race ya Twisted Evil Razz

i have thought about that but thought it would not work, would be a lot easier and even more ridiculous, i like it Shocked Cool . ... will ask someone with a brain if would work, good job i aint welded the packer on yet.
littlemoon
littlemoon

Back to top Go down

Post  littlemoon Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:44 am

wont need to rotate the top end as i have had the motor set up with a wheel in place, just needed to slice a bit off the inlet manifold. even if i rotated the cylinder i would then have to get the exhaust in, which would be harder to do but not imposible. here are some pics

crank difference

will it work ?  2148ihl

will it work ?  242bxqu

will it work ?  4g3qdy

clearence

will it work ?  Zyegdu

will it work ?  2us9zq8
littlemoon
littlemoon

Back to top Go down

will it work ?  Empty Ouch

Post  Admin Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:20 am

That tyre is very close - in fact too close (IMHO). Given that when a tyre is warm it can expand by up to 5 mil then its an issue that will need looking at.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://lunaownersclub.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  NIGE Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:35 am

thats a bit close.can you use another type of manifold or shorten the one you have .because tyres do expand.you have got to get this to work now simon Twisted Evil
NIGE
NIGE

Back to top Go down

will it work ?  Empty clearence

Post  littlemoon Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:01 pm

littlemoon
littlemoon

Back to top Go down

will it work ?  Empty packer

Post  littlemoon Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:14 pm

here is a pic or 2 of the packer

will it work ?  Flywheel_007
pic hosting

will it work ?  Flywheel_008
upload pics

will it work ?  Flywheel_009
free photo hosting
littlemoon
littlemoon

Back to top Go down

will it work ?  Empty rod and eccentric pin

Post  littlemoon Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:37 pm

drt 105mm rod and drt 2mm eccentric pin

will it work ?  Rod_kit_002
free photo hosting

rod has a 12mm wide big end and the pin is 20mm diameter so will need to grind the ends that go into the webs down to 18mm. the usuall upgrade for the vespa small frame kit is to go 51mm stroke and 105mm rod, so with the 2mm + or - eccentric pin i can get the starstream crank from 48mm to 50mm stroke , gets me right in the ballpark the drt vespa parts are very good quality bought via wayne at www.wolfeperformance.co.uk as he gets a dealer discount via sip . ignition wise i think i will bight the bullet and buy a lunatronic kit. staytuned folks . simon
littlemoon
littlemoon

Back to top Go down

will it work ?  Empty gearbox upgrade

Post  littlemoon Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:48 pm

gearbox, i have a complete starstream and vega drive trains that i will be getting a special process/coating aplied. used by a certain f1 team based in woking, they are on the same industrial site where i work . they have done gearbox parts for a big le mans team as they were having trouble with gearbox failures, after treatment no more failures. the f1 team has gearbox and engine parts done. they have done pistions and heads ect , this job for me will be f.o.c Cool
littlemoon
littlemoon

Back to top Go down

Post  daz.h Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:54 pm

f.o.c is always a good price Smile
some quality work there simon, a well earned pat on the back for you . Exclamation
daz.h
daz.h

Back to top Go down

Post  Thackers Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:47 am

I think i've said it before Simon, but it's worth repeating. You are a very clever lad, my hat is raised sir cheers
Thackers
Thackers

Back to top Go down

Post  madmaex08 Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:08 am

littlemoon wrote:

well its good news on the cranks, only a small mod is needed and a change of rod is required.    

did you ever get the engine running with the Parmakit and the sunny crank? I still did´nt quite get what mod, beside changing the rod, you need to apply to the sunny crank to make it work in a Starstream setup.

madmaex08

Back to top Go down

Post  timthemod Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:33 am

I'd just be interested in doing a cylinder upgrade to 100cc (from 75) using the Sunny barrel and piston. Would this would using the modified crank, would any other internal mods be required?

timthemod

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down