LUNA OWNERS CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sunny front hub alternative

4 posters

Go down

Sunny front hub alternative  Empty Sunny front hub alternative

Post  Thackers Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:24 am

As most will know I've been searching for years for the elusive 4 stud sunny front hub. Earlier this year I realised it was time to give up the quest. I still wanted the features that could be achieved with that hub. So the story begins.
Let's start with a conversation with Joey Fontaine, after explaining my thoughts to him at a parts fair he gave me the idea to convert a readily avaliable front hub. I went away thinking it was probably not on the cards that I could do it, or even possible. I pondered over his idea and while chatting online to another Luna fan Graham McBear I mentioned the idea and he seemed positive it could work.
This gave me the incentive to start finding the parts at the right price to try it out. Buying at the right price in case I couldn't achieve the right outcome.
Then with most of the parts assembled I spoke to lloyd walker and asked him how he might tackle the hub. As with those mentioned I know lloyd is very good at mechanical /engineering solutions. He gave me his ideas and spent much time and patience online helping and advising me as I worked on the hub in my garage.
After many, many hours with much head scratching, trying the fit, adjusting here, grinding there I'm happy to say it's mission accomplished. I now have a 4 stud front hub that will have better brakes and use tubeless rims.
All the work done by myself apart from some thread work on the Axle.
All inside the original forks, using the original links.
Thanks to those fellas I've mentioned but especially lloyd.

Sunny front hub alternative  DSC-1430

Sunny front hub alternative  DSC-1429
Sunny front hub alternative  DSC-1466

Thackers
Thackers

wack 63 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Sunny front hub alternative  Empty Re: Sunny front hub alternative

Post  Snails Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:54 am

That's great news David. Great to see that you worked out a solution

Very interested to see how it goes. Would love to hear what was necessary some time if you don't mind. I've gone j 3 stud on mine which I will use for now but maybe one day I might like to go down this path - I've got so many other jobs to do first though.

Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Sunny front hub alternative  Empty Front Hub

Post  Admin Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:27 am

Thackers - looks like a good conversion mate and as you say, you've spent so much time looking for the Sunny items that seeking an alternative was the only option.

I have looked at a number of ideas over the years and think that the J route is one way to go so I might have a trial muck around with the hubs that are sitting in boxes from my better half's Starstream - its an easy option and one that won't cost me money.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://lunaownersclub.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Soulrebel Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:22 pm

Hi,Im new to this forum,just doing a Lui for my wife.
The original hub is seized and corroded and so I bought a J front hub hoping it was a straight swap...Wrong!
Any advice on making it fit would be appreciated,I do realise I need a J  rim but will the spindle fit straight in the links.
Also can I use a J rear hub on the 50CL engine case.
Thanks in advance.Mick
Soulrebel
Soulrebel

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:33 am

I think you need the Jay spindle as the hub itself is wider. I should really remember as I fitted one myself about 18 months ago. Also worth bearing in mind that you will have to make it reverse pull.

At least your brakes will work better than with the Lui hub. I might have a spare Lui hub if interested.

Good luck
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  Soulrebel Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:54 am

Thanks for the reply Snails,I may take you up on that.Will drop you a DM.Thanks
Soulrebel
Soulrebel

Back to top Go down

Post  Thackers Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:51 am

Hi, as for the rear hub you would need a j range layshaft. The hubs on a J are akin to the larger series scoots in that they have a cone, so the layshaft is longer to accept it. Then you would need to change the brake shoes and also the brake cam and the brake shoe pivot pin due to the shoes being wider.
Thackers
Thackers

Back to top Go down

Post  Soulrebel Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:31 am

Looks like my wife will be sticking with the Lui rear hub then!
Thanks for the reply
Soulrebel
Soulrebel

Thackers likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down