LUNA OWNERS CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Legshield toolbox

+4
mickey c
Thackers
boozee
Snails
8 posters

Go down

Legshield toolbox  Empty Legshield toolbox

Post  mickey c Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:30 pm

Hi again
Does anyone have a photo of a legshield toolbox fitted to a Luna please? I can't find one on here (although I know I've seen 1) or the www. I've had a look at attaching 1 & now know I need to copy from someone cleverer!

mickey c

Back to top Go down

Legshield toolbox  Empty Re: Legshield toolbox

Post  Snails Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:50 am

David (Thackers) is your man for this Mike if you are going down the LD route. There should be some pictures on here of his scoot. I think it might of been featured in Scootering too? Correct me if i'm wrong Dave.

Think some other very lucky people have had custom made ones? I'm thinking Daz maybe? Well jel, as the kids say (or probably used to say now!)

Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  mickey c Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:55 am

thanks Ed
I've bought a LD one and just struggling on what kind of height will work best. As I say I looked at loads of people's scooters shown in here - I too was 'well jel' (some lovely lookers in there!) but couldn't see a toolbox fitted but i'll have a look for Thackers when I get a few minutes.

mickey c

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:48 am

Its Blue with some nice chrome on it if that helps
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  Thackers Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:46 pm

Mickey, here's a few snaps of my Ld toolbox, it has a smaller clock in it now. If I can help in any way just ask.
Legshield toolbox  P1070350
Legshield toolbox  P1070488
Legshield toolbox  P1080362
Thackers
Thackers

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:51 pm

Not that I am gonna do one, but did you cut the centre beam inside the box at all? As a way to create more space.
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  mickey c Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:19 am

Wow - Thackers your scooter looks ace! I'm looking to do a very similar scooter (i.e. colour and toolbox) but I wont even get close to looking that good.
Also thanks very much for the photo, that is really helpful, I was trying to put it much higher and will now drop it this height.

mickey c

Back to top Go down

Post  Thackers Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:51 pm

Embarassed Thanks for that, very kind of you to say so.
Ed, no I didn't cut the tunnel for more space, though that might be a good idea you would have to close up the tunnel on the bottom section to stop things falling down
Thackers
Thackers

Back to top Go down

Legshield toolbox  Empty ld toolbox.

Post  boozee Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:07 am

well done thackers, that looks like its ment to be there.did you have to cut it much to get it to fit.

boozee

Back to top Go down

Post  Thackers Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:40 pm

boozee wrote:well done thackers,  that looks like its ment to be there.did you have to cut it much to get it to fit.
Cheers, no I didn't cut it, I extended it in depth. The LD box isn't very deep so the sides needed to be longer then cut to shape. I used card taped to the box then scribed along the legshield to get the true shape ( a trick from my joinery apprenticeship) then used the card to mark out the sheet tin, This was then glued into place with a rivet either side to secure it in place. Then filled and painted. A bit fiddly but worth it in the long run. I covered the inside of the leggies to stop them getting scratched whilst trying to get the final shape.
Thackers
Thackers

Back to top Go down

Post  mickey c Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:04 am

thanks for the tips - I was going to cut it to fit but was worried that I would struggle to fit in even a sandwich after cutting it yet smaller.

Extending it never occurred to me and makes you work even more impressive! I cant see any join. I'll nick some cereal packets tonight and have a plan with card board templates and drop into my local metal supplier. should be a fun job!

mickey c

Back to top Go down

Post  Harlequim Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:56 am

interesting tip- I bought an LD tool box at Cleethorpes last year to use on the Vega. I was thinking the same- by the time it's cut it would leave little room inside and had thought about cutting the beam too but didn't think it would add much. Increasing the depth seems best idea. What clock is in it Thackers?
Harlequim
Harlequim

Back to top Go down

Post  Thackers Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:59 am

Hi, That clock (now replaced) was from a classic car. I ran it off a small 12v battery, the kind used in burglar alarms. It took up too much space though so I went for a classic looking, quartz clock which runs off a tiny watch type battery. If you search "Clock Insert" on Ebay there's plenty on there at reasonable prices too.
I'm keen to fit a rev counter into mine, but finding one that fits, works, and doesn't cost the earth is proving tricky.
Thackers
Thackers

Back to top Go down

Post  timthemod Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:40 am

Thackers, tried looking for those clocks on ebay and found nothing. Do you want to sell the clock you took out?

Thanks

TTM

timthemod

Back to top Go down

Post  Thackers Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:52 pm

Hi Tim, sorry I don't have that clock anymore. I've just tried Ebay with "clock insert" and it's throwing up quite a few but for some reason I can't cut and paste a link on here from Ebay  Crying or Very sad
I can't get a link from Photobucket to post a picture of the clock either scratch  scratch  scratch
Something's amiss on this site I think
Thackers
Thackers

Back to top Go down

Post  Harlequim Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:40 pm

Got my tool box on the go now- being extended and should look very much like Thackers'. We've used photos of his as a guide. A profile comb borrowed from an areoplane engineer is proving very useful it seems, my man making it says.
Harlequim
Harlequim

Back to top Go down

Post  daz.h Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:08 pm

once done, get a fiberglass mould made of it, you'll be a millionaire this time next year Very Happy
daz.h
daz.h

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooter Paul Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:48 am

Not such a bad idea! Even if you get the guy that makes replica Lambretta body parts to make them for you. World wide I'd guess there would be enough interest if the product was good.

Paul
Scooter Paul
Scooter Paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Thackers Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:44 am

And of course there will be royalties to pay to the patent holder Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Wink Wink
Thackers
Thackers

Back to top Go down

Legshield toolbox  Empty Legshield toolbox

Post  mickey c Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:00 am

This is full Thackers copyright!

Although I wished I'd done metal work at school! It's not totally symetrical & the rubber trim will need to hide a few foibles but for £40 & a bit of time, I'm sure the storage space will come in handy!
Legshield toolbox  Image_zpse9df666e
Legshield toolbox  Image_zpsce48671c

Thanks for the pointers Thackers

mickey c

Back to top Go down

Post  Thackers Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:43 am

Looking good Mickey Cool I removed the two inner stays on mine so the space went right back to the legshields. How are you planning to fit it in place? I ended up with 2 small right angled brackets riveted to the top which bolted to the centre beam via captive nuts (all inside so all you see is the top of the rivet) then some black silicone along the bottom of the rubber to the leggies. You might want to consider the fitting before final paint. Then to protect the back of the leggies inside the box I stuck on some ether foam. Keep up that good work Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Thackers
Thackers

Back to top Go down

Post  mickey c Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:20 pm

Thanks Thackers, but credit goes your way for the 'how to' guide. I've just got some right angled brackets & was just going to bolt onto the middle beam too. It didn't occur to me to move the brackets Embarassed
I do think a middle fixing point would be ok for strength purposes but I imagine yours will be better. I've got all my frame & panels back now and will delay painting the toolbox as you advise until I've tried fitting it.
Next job is forks & improved suspension so I can start building it up.
I must admit I'm really enjoying this so far, but I'm a long way off the electrics which usually hurt my head!

mickey c

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down