LUNA OWNERS CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

stator, lights, etc

2 posters

Go down

stator, lights, etc Empty stator, lights, etc

Post  shand Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:14 pm

Will a scooter restorations sunny stator plate and flywheel fit a 1970 vega, or is the best way ahead to bite  the bullet and shell out for a varitronic Question
shand
shand

Back to top Go down

stator, lights, etc Empty Re: stator, lights, etc

Post  trotsky Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:47 am

Hi Shand, I don't see why not, are you having issues, or just wanting something better &/or more reliable? If you change to 12V I'm not sure if you need to change the coil, you might only need to change if going electronic as opposed to staying with points? Maybe the horn, but I've heard of people having no issues with their original one, & fly cowl if the Sunny fins are longer? & bulbs!
I would also ask SR if you even need to change flywheel as internally everything dimensionally may be the same between Vega & J? Just some thoughts & observations - electrickery is not my strong point! Hope this helps....Steve
trotsky
trotsky

Back to top Go down

Post  shand Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:47 am

I haven't had any issue with the ignition side of things, just the lights particularly the rear light and the brake light, I've got twelve volt bulbs fitted and the stator puts out about 10 volts at tickover, so whether its been played with in the past I don't know, the flywheels got a few fins missing so it might be hand in pocket time Sad
shand
shand

Back to top Go down

Post  trotsky Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:46 am

Bugger Sad...   I don't know if this will help but on my Vega I also had issues with the rear lights blowing, in the end I found that my brake pedal was pinching & chaffing my 2 loom wires to the switch when I used it, causing it to short & keep blowing the bulbs. Since I re-taped & routed differently I haven't had an issue since - touch wood Shocked (I still use 6V bulbs with a 12V pilot bulb)  . Might be something to look at?

I ride the Vega about a fair bit & haven't had any issues on points ignition, but I must admit though I have put converted electronic kits onto 2 different Vegas (1x 125 & 1x 140) & both ride smoothly & sound lovely.

I've also got a Varitronic to put on the 140 I'm building using the Beedspeed replacement electronic Loom which does away with the junction box, this will hopefully give me even better performance & ride because of the variable ignition...he says!!  Laughing

Again, if it's just because of lights shorting & you want to keep the originality, would it be cheaper to replace the loom completely instead. I'm really not sure if I'm helping you now, sorry bud Question .....Steve
trotsky
trotsky

Back to top Go down

Post  shand Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:06 am

I'm pretty certain its not the loom, the stator has had quite a few repairs so I'm leaning towards that being the problem, so now its just deciding how much I want to spend, thanks for your replies they've given me a few things to look at
shand
shand

Back to top Go down

Post  trotsky Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:16 am

No bother, hope you get it sorted.....Steve
trotsky
trotsky

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content