LUNA OWNERS CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

winter upgrades and engine rebuild

+2
Thackers
littlemoon
6 posters

Go down

winter upgrades and engine rebuild Empty winter upgrades and engine rebuild

Post  littlemoon Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:13 pm

just started to do a few over due jobs on my lui which include engine upgrade and rebuild plus the upgrade of the forks. first off is the engine upgrade, a new 50mm wisco single ring piston and rebore to suit. head is one that i got off daz h with the plug coming out at the flywheel side and has a better shape to the combustion area. new long con rod, some mad porting and an lth reedvalve. a 26mm oko flatslide carb. varitronic ignition. the allspeed exhaust that i made will used and tried on a dyno to see if its any good.engine is allready stripped and crank should be back before xmass Cool . ignition back plate is fitted i just need to weld the vega boss to the flywheel.

the clutch has had some treatment aswell to handle the expected double figure hp Shocked

i have drilled some big holes in the sprocket to reduce weight and let gear oil flow better, will also be going 4 plate using series 3 thin steels with a couple of mm skimmed out of the sprocket . also going to try a starstream 14 tooth front sprocket, they fit and line up just the same as the vega 13 tooth sprocket they also have a cush drive. i might be able to use the same chain as it is stretched now if not i will get one made with a half link.

forks were stripped this aft and not before time as the lower buffers were buggered also the link bushes are badly worn. upper damper brackets are now welded on and were dropped off at my local powder coaters to be re done. the push rods are badly worn aswell , so i have ditched these and cut some new series 3 rods down and also cut some new standard series 3 fork springs down to the same length as the lui springs. they fit in the forks without any fettling, it should improve the front end no end. will be having a look at the link bushes tomorow, i think i might do away with them and see if i can find or machine down a stainless bolt that will take the space of the bush, then just enlarge the bolt holes through the forks. the brakes are spot on so wont need to do owt to them

i have done away with the rear light and fitted a vega light and number plate holder. just need a rear light.

will put a few pics up tomorow nite, but here is a pic of the rear sprocket after some weight loss

winter upgrades and engine rebuild 2crmsuf

winter upgrades and engine rebuild 2af1g4

littlemoon
littlemoon

Back to top Go down

winter upgrades and engine rebuild Empty Re: winter upgrades and engine rebuild

Post  Thackers Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:27 pm

Very interesting, what cc's are you expecting? Have you seen the scootRS copy of the LTH reed block? I think they use the name Atomic, it looks ok and as you could expect is a bit cheaper i was thinking of using one when i get round to changes on mine.
Thackers
Thackers

Back to top Go down

Post  littlemoon Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:44 pm

i allready have an lth but have seen the scootrs atomic ones they look good for the luna/j conversions. cc wise i think it will be around 85cc, i wont gain cc with the longer rod (would only gain with bigger stroke or increase in cylinder diameter) but it needed a new big end and my local 2 stroke expert had some rods that were ideal to go with the wisco piston and same big end pin and rod width size as the standard vega but with a bigger bearing and moto x strength . piston was around £50, good quality gol brand vega pistons are £40 + and the rod was £25 so a reasonable cost to upgrade . + rebore and tune and cost of crank re build of course, but it needed a rebore and piston anyway (bad piston slap and a rumbeling big end). wil get a few more pics up tomorow. cheers siimon

Thackers wrote:Very interesting, what cc's are you expecting? Have you seen the scootRS copy of the LTH reed block? I think they use the name Atomic, it looks ok and as you could expect is a bit cheaper i was thinking of using one when i get round to changes on mine.
littlemoon
littlemoon

Back to top Go down

Post  littlemoon Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:35 am

here are a few more pics

fork springs
winter upgrades and engine rebuild Fz553b

varitronic stator
winter upgrades and engine rebuild Maxgeh

fork link using the inner stainless sleeve and bolt from a series 3 fork link, a straight fit no fettling
winter upgrades and engine rebuild 10zda43

will do away with this
winter upgrades and engine rebuild 2gy3czm
littlemoon
littlemoon

Back to top Go down

Post  daz.h Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:22 pm

you've been busy Very Happy
them s3 rod springs look a lot beefier, think i have a set somewhere i can chop up.
daz.h
daz.h

Back to top Go down

winter upgrades and engine rebuild Empty winter upgrades and engine rebuild

Post  gc Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:37 am

Lookin' forward to see how you get on with the rear sprocket/clutch idea - like the
sound of that Smile
gc
gc

Back to top Go down

Post  Thackers Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:04 pm

Some good ideas there Simon, i've read about the spring upgrade idea before, some said it made the front too tight/stiff. If you take out the two outer bushes/sleeves on the fork link and have the stainless part, wont it need lubricating as it's metal to metal? Or am i way off beam ?? scratch scratch
Thackers
Thackers

Back to top Go down

Post  littlemoon Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:09 pm

Thackers wrote:Some good ideas there Simon, i've read about the spring upgrade idea before, some said it made the front too tight/stiff. If you take out the two outer bushes/sleeves on the fork link and have the stainless part, wont it need lubricating as it's metal to metal? Or am i way off beam ?? scratch scratch

the standard springs on my lui are realy cack, so i thought i would give some standard series 3 one a try, not the uprated progresive type. so will have to see. and yes you are right about some lube on the bushes. i wanted to use and still might use some early series 1/2 fork link bushes as the are bronze and greased via a grease nipple on the end of the bolt or i could drill the stainless ones i have.
littlemoon
littlemoon

Back to top Go down

Post  littlemoon Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:07 am

got my forks back from the powder coaters today and rebuilt and fitted here is a pic or two, and i drilled the fork links for greasing

winter upgrades and engine rebuild 24odlrp

winter upgrades and engine rebuild 25f4rxv

had ago just free wheeling round my workshop and slamming on the front brake and its spot on way better than the standard set up Cool , will fit some dampers on tomorow Very Happy . was also looking at some pitbike rear shocks as a good replacement for the shit standard one. seen a few at around 280mm to 300mm with 250lb spring and fully adjustable http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290813544653?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

just waiting for some clutch plates to arrive aswell so i can finish that off
littlemoon
littlemoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Thackers Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:17 pm

That is sooooooooooooo clever, it sometimes makes you wonder why Innocenti didn't do things like that. So the series 3 springs worked out, another step forward. I have a set of front forks i'm getting the damper mounts welded on, when i get them ready to go on the bike i'll be looking into the spring trick. Thanks for sharing the ideas. There's some clever people on here
Thackers
Thackers

Back to top Go down

Post  daz.h Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:41 pm

he's a clever lad that simon Exclamation
daz.h
daz.h

Back to top Go down

Post  NIGE Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:36 am

goods mods simon .very clever man
NIGE
NIGE

Back to top Go down

Post  littlemoon Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:40 am

Embarassed Embarassed Smile
littlemoon
littlemoon

Back to top Go down

winter upgrades and engine rebuild Empty upgrades

Post  itsjoeyfontane Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:43 pm

...looking good,sprigs might be too hard ? [hope not] I thought about putting in some 10mm washers to stiffen the pre-load and skim off a bit of the bottom buffers and had an idea to try some 'j' links for more ride height..? Clutch sounds good,make sure they're surflex...I was going to use a gp 5 plate reduced to 4 for vega..? [when/if it breaks]... enjoy!
itsjoeyfontane
itsjoeyfontane

Back to top Go down

Post  littlemoon Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:52 pm

ey up joey

my set up will be more of a road/race set up Laughing . and now due to loosing a stone (still need to loose another Shocked ) the front end is spot on, was bottoming out and wheel leaning over and catching fork leg every time i rested me fingers on the brake leaver. as you need a road/ off road (beamish trials, scotish 6 day Shocked etc) set up soft and longer travel is what you need Cool . i have orderd a newfren 5 plate set up 1mm steels and just under 3mm corks from scooter restorations . everyone seems to be out of the bgm red corks (2mm i think ?) so this will have to . will up date as and when . cheers simon
littlemoon
littlemoon

Back to top Go down

Post  littlemoon Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:51 am

rev/temp gauge fitted and will now be going down the px 12v conversion as i dont think the gauge would work with the varitronic. i have fed the wires under the frame near the brake light wires and will go under the mag housing and tie in with the stator wires to the junction box to keep it tidy

winter upgrades and engine rebuild 2wpupkw

winter upgrades and engine rebuild 9knlns
littlemoon
littlemoon

Back to top Go down

Post  littlemoon Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:25 pm

fitted some dampers today and had a freewheel round my workshop and slamed on the front brake a few times, what an improvement Cool Very Happy . crank is nearly ready had to have the sides of the rod ground down a bit to get it in the webs, i have not seen it yet. and i best get on with the clutch because i have the ultimate madcap conversion about to take place a cylinder kit with 14bhp to 16bhp straight out of the box. will be fitting it tomorow, dry build on another case . also looking to see if it can be tuned anymore Shocked i am sure it can be done Wink
littlemoon
littlemoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down