LUNA OWNERS CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice regarding 12 volt conversion

4 posters

Go down

Advice regarding 12 volt conversion Empty Advice regarding 12 volt conversion

Post  mickey c Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:05 am

Hi again all
And sorry to be so needy but can someone who has the done this conversion help me out please?
I can't find a thread giving the exact how to (hand holding) guide I need. I'm having to use a star stream stator back plate which will fit but I have no idea where the pick up should go, is it about 4pm if tdc is 12? Anyone got a photo of their finished stator please?

Also I have read both Vespa PX and PK should be used, which is it? Or does it not matter as long it has 5 coils? Therefore would this suffice?
http://www.allstyles-scooters.com/acatalog/Stator_flywheel.html

However quite expensive for something I'm going to demolish, can't decide whether a cheap Indian one is false economy?

mickey c

Back to top Go down

Advice regarding 12 volt conversion Empty Re: Advice regarding 12 volt conversion

Post  Thackers Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:07 pm

Hi Mickey, when I did mine many years ago I used a PK stator (cheap at the time on ebay)
https://lunaownersclub.forumotion.com/t129-electronic-conversion?highlight=electronic+conversion
Thackers
Thackers

Back to top Go down

Advice regarding 12 volt conversion Empty Re: Advice regarding 12 volt conversion

Post  mickey c Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:42 am

thanks again Thackers
I'll order a PK one - as I say I cant make my mind up whether to get an Indian one delivered for half the price of Uk and reputable one - but on balance - the Uk one is my preference.
I also think I've got my head round removing the flywheel boss - that seams straightforward enough - just requiring some time, care and patience.
its the stator that has always worried me, partly because my soldering skills are dire! I am currently disassembling the starstream stator and guessing I need to drill out the rivets to remove the copper coils. my real problem is where to attach the PK coils and pick up - I've got no frame of reference from any of the threads I've read.

does anyone have a photo or rough wiring diagram / sketch as to where the pick up and each coil should attach to the back plate please? seeing as its 12 volt electronic I'm guessing pick up at 4 p.m. ? similar to large frame Lambretta electronic kits but would prefer not to guess.

once this is done, my scooter is definitely finished and I'll hopefully be a lot less trouble / hard work!

mickey c

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:39 am

Mike - once I had my old electrics removed and the PK ones attached to my stator I think I sent it to beedspeed to be checked over and all the wiring replaced. It was not much money and worth it for the piece of mind.

As I have said a few times - it might just be easier to come over a look at mine - which I'm sure would make things a lot clearer..should have taken more photos but you forget at the time dont you...
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  mickey c Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:06 am

Thanks Ed
Is yours in bits again for me to have a look? I did get some photos from someone on Facebook group which thinking about it, I should put here as pointed in the right direction.

I will defo send the modified stator for checking, my soldering is damn awful & will need checking by a pro. All in should have decent electrics for under £100; the stator cost me £50 as I went for expensive 1 instead of cheap for similar piece of mind!

mickey c

Back to top Go down

Post  Soulrebel Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:13 pm

Hi,looking at doing this conversion possibly.I have an electronic flywheel and also an electronic lammy stator.Can this stator be used instead of a vespa one.
Also does anyone have any info as to the position of the Luna boss on the LI flywheel please.
Many thanks
Soulrebel
Soulrebel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down