LUNA OWNERS CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A modest improvement in speed - Vega

4 posters

Go down

A modest improvement in speed - Vega Empty A modest improvement in speed - Vega

Post  storkfoot Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:25 pm

At this point in my "Vega life", I haven't ever ridden one, let alone owned one (soon to be rectified Very Happy ). As you do, you start reading bits and bobs and dreaming about what you're going to do with your "project."

My initial thoughts are:

I don't want to go the 125 route (quite happy at something near 75cc)- heard too many lads say it vibrates too much and that it is costly to get on the road.

I'd like to use the standard barrel and exhaust rather than the Casa kit or a non standard pipe.

I'm quite happy to lose the airbox and use a standard carb, a Polini CP23, TM24 even, or one one of the Scootopia 22 Dellortos when they come out. I know nothing about manifolds. I don't want an unfiltered carb though.

I've never run a Varitronic but I saw that Chiselspeed recommended an electronic conversion in the Nov 2014 Scootering article. I can see the logic in that and I'd be willing to bite the bullet and lash out the best part of 300.

I'm thinking (dreaming maybe) of doing the Beamish Time Trial in a couple of years again and maybe doing a daft long haul run for charity on the Vega.

At this point, I'd welcome any thoughts, ideas or recommendations.

Paul
storkfoot
storkfoot

Back to top Go down

A modest improvement in speed - Vega Empty Re: A modest improvement in speed - Vega

Post  Snails Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:54 am

All seem sensible.

My only thoughts are

Any carb replacement would need a flip choke, I dont know much about carbs so I would be interested in how others get around this issue.

If your going touring plan for what you would do if you get a puncture. Spare wheel holders are costly. It would also effect tyres choice I guess as many tyres I think are designed to point one way or the other and the offset rims make this tricky. You could use old style tyres of course or not worry about it. Another idea is the sunny hubs and I'm told you can get tubeless rims? I'm not sure on this though.

I'm sure someone has been mad enough to do the Beamish trial on here?
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

A modest improvement in speed - Vega Empty Re: A modest improvement in speed - Vega

Post  storkfoot Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:50 am

Thanks for that, Snails. Pretty certain the Mikuni and Polini have flip chokes but, yes, you be right with the 22 Dell'orto.

Spare wheels weigh a fair bit and, I'd guess in the case of a 75cc scoot, would have a significant adverse effect in the power to weight scheme of things. I'd be more inclined to start with new tyres and take a couple inner tubes and an inflator kit.

Turning to the barrel, has anyone had an success with a mild tune on a standard barrel and using a standard piston? What is the maximum bore you can safely have on a standard barrel?

Thanks again
storkfoot
storkfoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Thackers Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:10 pm

There's some good tuning advice in the old 70s tuning manual by Ken Herlingshaw (I think) I'm sure it has quite a bit of detail on the 75cc vega
Thackers
Thackers

Back to top Go down

Post  storkfoot Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:23 pm

Thackers wrote:There's some good tuning advice in the old 70s tuning manual by Ken Herlingshaw (I think) I'm sure it has quite a bit of detail on the 75cc vega

I thought I had a printed download of that somewhere but I looked for it a few days ago and can't find it. I'll get one ordered. Thanks.
storkfoot
storkfoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:14 pm

I've got a pdf
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  storkfoot Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:39 am

Snails wrote:I've got a pdf

Snails, could you please email it to me at storkfoot@gmail.com ?

Paul
storkfoot
storkfoot

Back to top Go down

Post  bjhart Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:43 am

Ooh could I have one of those (PDF) as well please, to barryjhart@btinternet.com

Thanks in advance

bjhart

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:42 am

Done Smile
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down