LUNA OWNERS CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Engine stand

4 posters

Go down

Engine stand Empty Engine stand

Post  storkfoot Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:05 pm

Has anyone got the measurements and design of an engine stand for a Vega engine please?

I won't be picking up my Vega until March otherwise I'd take the measurements off the casing Wink

Paul
storkfoot
storkfoot

Back to top Go down

Engine stand Empty Engine Stand

Post  Admin Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:14 am

I've never seen one Paul but I reckon that someone out there must have one - anyone?
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://lunaownersclub.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Engine stand Empty Re: Engine stand

Post  trotsky Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:17 pm

Now then Paul, here are some pix of my home brew one a mate made for me, may give you an idea or two  Wink. It's ideal as I can turn it over so I can work from both sides. I cut the engine casing lug where the prop stand goes on this casing as it's not a stock motor & I don't like the look of them, so the engine hangs from the rear shocker lug.
I also had a similar version of this one made which Weeksy has, but his one has the rear bracket support where the original engine prop lug is, so drop him a mail & I'm sure he'll sort some pix & dimensions for you. In hindsight the only thing I wish I'd got done differently, was to have made the jig a little longer at the rear, so I could fit the rear hub on while still in the jig.
You could also use your engine bar, instead of threaded bar. Hope this helps...Steve

Engine stand Vega_Rebuild_001

Engine stand Vega_Rebuild_002Engine stand Vega_Rebuild_004Engine stand Vega_Rebuild_010Engine stand Vega_Rebuild_005Engine stand Vega_Rebuild_023Engine stand Vega_Rebuild_003
trotsky
trotsky

Back to top Go down

Post  storkfoot Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:37 pm

Thanks, Steve. Hope you and Wendy are well.

That's given me something to muse over as I was thinking of having one that I can use with my existing Lammy stand (I'll post a picture in the next few days so you can see what I mean) which would be "open" and so, provided it's tall enough off the workbench, should be OK for hub and wheel.

I suppose I should wait until I actually possess the engine before I go getting one welded up. I'm just too impatient Rolling Eyes

Paul
storkfoot
storkfoot

Back to top Go down

Post  trotsky Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:45 pm

Hi Paul, yeah we're good ta - hope you are too & not in mourning too much over Stevie Geeeeee  Shocked  You can never plan ahead enough in my opinion! I'm sure Martin could sort dims out for you, but it is definately easier to make a jig with engine in hand. Keep safe & see you in a rally pub soon  Wink ....Steve
trotsky
trotsky

Back to top Go down

Post  trotsky Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:58 pm

Forgot to say Paul, while your at the welders, before you do anything else, get the outside of the casing welded around the endplate, absolutely notorious for hairline cracks between the endplate studs & lugs, may seem like overkill but they do go there often.  Sad  
The welder was on a roll  Shocked  Laughing , you probably only need to weld around both stud & lug areas....

Engine stand Vega_Rebuild_006

Engine stand Vega_Rebuild_009
trotsky
trotsky

Back to top Go down

Post  daz.h Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:53 pm

quality work there !
daz.h
daz.h

Back to top Go down

Post  storkfoot Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:54 pm

I haven't seen this casing yet in person, but I suspect that this photo, bad that it is, reinforces your point Sad

Engine stand Crackedvegacasing

As Bob Paisley used to say: "Make sure your players legs go on someone else's pitch" study
storkfoot
storkfoot

Back to top Go down

Post  trotsky Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:24 am

Bugger Sad  But hopefully that means the repair has already been done  Very Happy  ...

Hi Daz, yes very thorough!!!!! Shocked
trotsky
trotsky

Back to top Go down

Post  storkfoot Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:08 am

I was thinking of something along these lines. The more i think about it, it would make sense if I had it compatible with the base for this as then I can work on it from both sides and looking down on it.

Engine stand Lamenginestand
storkfoot
storkfoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down