LUNA OWNERS CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vegas I had

4 posters

Go down

Vegas I had Empty Vegas I had

Post  digger59 Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:05 pm

I bought a 1970 Vega in 1979 from Hull (The land of Cod) for..............£15 plus a Cometa engine complete except piston/head/cyl,also got the original handbook(still have that) it was from Newcastle originally and registered LFT252J .
I ran it on nearly every rally from 1980 to 1981,including GT Yarmouth,Ambleside,Rhyl,Scarborough,Bridlington,Brighton,Bournemouth 1981 last one on it.
I ran it both as a 75 and a 125 swapped it in May 1981 for a GP150(175) J reg and an Electronic GP frame complete except engine it was J reg but I suspect that was incorrect (All were K reg I believe).
I rode it down to Rudgely Scooter and rode back on the GP.I often wonder what happened to it.
I also had in 1977 a Vega Wildcat but 75cc it had stove enamelled black sidecasing,twin plug cyl head (The other plug was the smaller type) it had had an Amal mk 1 on it, I discovered when the old owner gave me the 20mm DeLLORTO to Amal conversion clip.
The story was that a student from Southampton (Fareham was in the old green log book) Rafferty Newmans and it actually said Wildcat.The reg on that Vega was AOR45J I sold it in 78 but got it back in 79 later sold to Tom Petch (Who has restored it about 5 years ago).

I also bought in 1980 a Cometa from Welton near Hull it was TKH---H (Tom has that too) I gave £2 for it ,it was seized ,no carb,no exhaust,no plug .I later unseized it and used the cylinder and piston it had also bent forks and somebody had tried to set fire too it.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh! happy memories! I had a good deal more of them but they are the ones that stand out.

digger59

Back to top Go down

Vegas I had Empty Re: Vegas I had

Post  daz.h Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:15 am

got some bargains there digger, shame you dont have them any more i would have given you twice as much mack for them, Very Happy
my cometa comes from guisley, when i got it i noticed it had a wildcat sticker on the frame, it needed a overhaul, so i was itching to get a look inside, sadly it was just standard Sad
daz.h
daz.h

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:10 pm

Interesting descriptions of your vega's. Certainly sounds like you have earned your stripes. Don't suppose you have any pictures
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Vegas I had Empty old vegas

Post  joeyfont Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:03 pm

...interesting,yeah pictures would be good.Whats the wildcat all about? spec/colours etc? scratch

joeyfont

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:10 pm

Wildcat check out Dave tooley's history of wildcat raceing. It's got enough mentions of five port racing Vegas to fuel a few day dreams of finding it some old shed. You know oh look its got a wild cat sticker . Think my hands would be shaking lifting of the cylinder head!
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:17 pm

Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  digger59 Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:49 am

Hi great link,some great history there.As I say mine was 75cc ,there was no Wildcat sticker on it,but in the old green log book it said Wildcat,I think it ended up in Goole (my home town is a port) from a sailor ,possibly from Southampton(Fareham).
The story was a student had it then it got stolen(hence the missing Amal mk1) The guy I bought it off later gave me the broken conversion clip(Amal to Dellorto ).
It certainly went better than the other 75cc Vegas I owned,that was once I got a 20mm Delorto body and a flip choke (although I didn't have the proper body with the extra threaded hole)GP/DL 125 has the same body but not tapped out.Strangely I have a Colombian built (Auteco)Jet 200 1972 that had the 20mm with the extra holes,alot of the old parts ened up here when the factory closed in 72 ,Disc brakes for example.
Like I say mine had matt black not silver crankcase side and it had twin plugs with cowling to match,I seem to remember the other being in the centre of the head ,but it was the smaller type plug(They did not both work at the same time).
Like I say it still exists but Tom says I never gave him the twin plug head(which is possible) but it was a long time ago,I can't remember.
Keep it coming great stuff!

digger59

Back to top Go down

Post  digger59 Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:56 am

Sorry forgot to add I don't unfortunatly have pics of that one,an ex girlfriend at the time (1977) possibly has or of the rare Capri 50s ,4 speed K reg 1972 i had also at the time (That was fast 50mph) Garelli engine well ported.
I do however have some pics of the other one LFT252J THAT i HAD FROM 1979TO 81 one at Brighton 1980 ,some at Scarborough 80/81 and one on the way back from Bournemouth 1981 my last outing on it 125cc got clocked at 65mph by my brother in my 1967 Humber Sceptre mk2.

digger59

Back to top Go down

Vegas I had Empty cant keep him off

Post  littlemoon Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:03 pm

only joking digger, some nice stories and interesting and very usfull info keep comming mate. Cool
littlemoon
littlemoon

Back to top Go down

Vegas I had Empty Too late mate!

Post  digger59 Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:10 pm

Already had my revenge ha-ha!

digger59

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down