LUNA OWNERS CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Lui 125 conversion

+13
siobhanellis
boozee
Snails
daz.h
li mick
gc
itsjoeyfontane
NIGE
wack 63
Thackers
zefarelly
vegagirl
Staffy (Gareth)
17 posters

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

My Lui 125 conversion - Page 2 Empty Re: My Lui 125 conversion

Post  daz.h Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:21 am

124.5mm
daz.h
daz.h

Back to top Go down

My Lui 125 conversion - Page 2 Empty flywheel....

Post  joeyfont Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:52 pm

...you may need to skim a bit off the back edge...seem to remember there is a bit of a step.. compare it to your original vega flywheel n you will see the difference.....
...what type of bolts have you used...i used allen bolts with the heads ground down to clear....

joeyfont

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:14 am

joeyfont wrote:...you may need to skim a bit off the back edge...seem to remember there is a bit of a step.. compare it to your original vega flywheel n you will see the difference.....

ah yes so there is. Thanks for pointing that out or I would probably of been making a third trip. I will take my old flywheel so the guy can see the difference.

joeyfont wrote:...what type of bolts have you used...i used allen bolts with the heads ground down to clear....
I've used allen bolts like you. Clearance looks like ok but that's just be eye. How much did you take off and what method did you use?

Last edited by Snails on Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:14 am

daz.h wrote:124.5mm

Thanks. Will take the old flywheel with me. Wish I had done that first time around!
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

My Lui 125 conversion - Page 2 Empty electronic

Post  joeyfont Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:30 pm

...i think i used 6mm countersunk set screws,i think the heads fouled on the points cam boss,so i ground to fit......

joeyfont

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:16 pm

Got the flywheel back from the engineering shop a few weeks back but been busy trying to get my GP past its MOT. Anyways they have done the required work but when they have created the step on the back edge its gone into the magnets. Only a little so I dont think this will be a problem. More of a concern is that in making the flywheel the same size as the vega one I provided it has in one instance taken the whole of the screw head off one off the scews holding the magnets in. I'm more than a little concerned that the magnet will work itself loose at some point and smash my engine to bits. Sad Shocked Their suggestion was to fill the small hole left by the disintergration of the screw head with super glue or lock tight Rolling Eyes I'm more than a little dubious about this.
Any other ideas?
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  daz.h Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:59 pm

mines the same, dont worry about it, any small gap i'd fill with locktite.
daz.h
daz.h

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:22 am

Well that's reasurring.

Is yours running Daz?
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  daz.h Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:03 am

no, still on my work bench
daz.h
daz.h

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:51 pm

Well I need to find some way of mounting the cdi and regulator. I quite fancy the 'under the rear mudguard method'. Somehow I dont think there will be space for the ducati regulator that I have. May need to swap it for something else. . . If anyone has mounted the cdi and reg under the mudguard, have you used the two holes behind the seat for attachment or welded the blate onto the frame
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  daz.h Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:08 pm

snails,
happy new year, nice to see your still tinkering away.
depending on how far you are with the framework, you could cut a box section in the frame like littlemoon did on my vega, this houses the coil (cdi) and regulator as well as flasher relay, and there standard size, so that if i need to find replacements in a hurry most dealers will have these parts on the shelf.

alternatively you could use the coil brackets and mount a cdi to them (like in the pictures in the first page) this was from a piaggio zip i think, under there or at the other side of the bracket you can mount the regulator, just need to either modify or remake a loom.
daz.h
daz.h

Back to top Go down

Post  Thackers Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:35 pm

I have my bits and bobs under the mudguard. I mounted them onto a alloy plate and pushed them right into the frame and fixed the plate at the badge holes behind the seat then siliconed the badge back on. Make sure you have plenty of wire from the cdi and regulator, i used connetors to the loom so i could disconect the fixed plate in the frame in case i needed to remove the engine and aid refitting the mudguard Wink
Thackers
Thackers

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:06 am

Thanks for that info David. What sort of thickness of alloy plate did you use?
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  Thackers Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:06 am

I think it was around 3-4 mm ally i shaped one end to sit close to the frame. It's a fiddly job. You could use the smaller Variotroic cdi and regulator i couldn't afford them at the time this way they can sit direct under the mudguard and not back into the body like mine.
Thackers
Thackers

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:02 am

So you managed to fit the more common Duacti Regulator and CDI in did you? Thats promising as I have ducati reg already. Is it possible to mix and match I wonder? A varitronic cdi with a ducati reg or vice versa Shocked
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  zefarelly Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:30 pm

I've not really looked or tried, but will the electronic gubbins not fit under the legshields, ahead of the engine mount bolt ? fabricate small box, under hang, simples?
zefarelly
zefarelly

http://www.throbnozzle-racing.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:15 pm

zefarelly wrote:I've not really looked or tried, but will the electronic gubbins not fit under the legshields, ahead of the engine mount bolt ? fabricate small box, under hang, simples?

I suppose theres no reason not to. Might be a liittle exposed.
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

My Lui 125 conversion - Page 2 Empty CDI

Post  wack 63 Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:42 pm

Hi chaps,I don't think the Vari CDI will work with a Ducati type stator although the reg is fine.My Lui 125 conversion - Page 2 CDI Tight to get in but can be done ,I used the rack threads to hold a plate.As for the price of the Vari regulator check out a used Honda SFX 50 or similar scooter on Ebay you can pick one up for less than a tenner.

wack 63

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:57 am

I finally have the electrics off the pk stator! Very Happy just need that faulty vega stator plate now.Sad
I've now moved on to the construction of the plate and fitting the reg etc.

Looking at my electrics (mine's a lui) I have a single very thin wire from the loom going to the back light.
On what path does the loom normally route on a vega? On mine the connectors for old reg etc comes out a very small hole near the stand.

I'm finding it hard to imagine routing all the necessary electrics through that and back to the mounting bracket. Any advice would be much appreciated. Also where have you routed the cable (mind has gone blank for its name!Shocked ) to the spark plug.

The info I have on the pk stator is

black - negative to regulator
blue - positive to regulator
green - ignition (earth to cut out)

these 3 go to cdi
white - earth
red - trigger
green - source

So these would need to go up to the gubbings at the bracket and then come back down to connect to some of the 3 wires I have from the loom that connected to my old coil/reg things

Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  Thackers Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:51 pm

Ed, it was quite a while ago i did mine as you know. But i brought all the wires from the front end up through the main body and back to the mudguard where its all going to be near to. I tried to be clever and hide the cables inside the mudguard and out the top through a rubber grommit, DONT do it that way my tyre rubbed against the wires which i spotted early (probably brought about by a weak rear shocker)
You might at this stage consider fitting a keyed switch. It's just a simple breaker on the green circuit (i think) but it stops the bike being started and riden off
Something along this line
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ON-OFF-Alarm-Security-Key-Switch-Cover-2-keys-/120602097539?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c1471f783
Thackers
Thackers

Back to top Go down

Post  daz.h Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:41 pm

ive used a vespa stator, all mounted onto a bare vega stator plate.
5 wires , red, green, white (them 3 go to coil / cdi) blue and black ( both to regulator) blue is power in, black is earth.

ed i have only had 1 lui, and this was a very early one, no coil mounts built on frame like the vega has, it also never had the larger hole for the loom to pass through, i had to drill one, all it had was a small crescent cut out that all the frames have.

i think i posted some pics years ago, cant remember if there on lcgb or luna base, but i'm currently making a loom up on this project, so could easily take more pics if needed.
daz
daz.h
daz.h

Back to top Go down

Post  daz.h Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:49 pm

found some pics hope they help.
My Lui 125 conversion - Page 2 Loomroute2 this is loom coming out of the frame where the distance pice is, a lui frame might not have this loom hole.

My Lui 125 conversion - Page 2 Loomroute1 under legsheilds

My Lui 125 conversion - Page 2 Loomroute route up towards headset
daz.h
daz.h

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:11 pm

Oh bugger and blast! Sad Sad looks like more heartache on the way. Definitely don't have that hole or a loom running under the leg shields. Still can't think where to route the Ht lead either.
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  daz.h Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:37 pm

i assume you have a early lui then ed, is the frame painted yet ?
i had a coil bracket made and welded on where the normal bracket goes, and i driled i think a 13mm hole for the loom to pass through.

strange differences on it, headset bottom had hexaganol cutouts underneath to hold m6 nuts, where later ones never and just had threads for allen bolt to pass through, also the finisher at the rear of the headset was just black and silver, no lambretta wrote on it.
sold it to resurection scooters to finance my 125 and gp200.
it made it into stickys manual, but only part of there advert.
daz.h
daz.h

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:43 am

Snails wrote:Oh bugger and blast! Sad Sad looks like more heartache on the way. Definitely don't have that hole or a loom running under the leg shields. Still can't think where to route the Ht lead either.

When I say it definitely doesn't have the hole or the loom I actually mean it definitely does have them! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed . Had a another look wearing my glasses and with the lights turned on! Very Happy

The rear light is wired seperatly to the rest of the loom and travels down the centre piece and up through the frame. Probably a bodge by someone at some point.
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next