LUNA OWNERS CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

advice for fitting standard exhaust on starstream barrel

3 posters

Go down

advice for fitting standard exhaust on starstream barrel Empty advice for fitting standard exhaust on starstream barrel

Post  mickey c Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:32 am

My rebuild has slowed to a stop - granted had some other 'projects' and life etc. getting in the way but my main problem now is fitting standard looking (internally modified) exhaust.
I have tried any number of thicker and thinner exhausts gaskets, doubled these up and still cant get the supporting holes on engine casing (next to the flywheel cover) to get close to lining up with the exhaust bracket.
before I drill the exhaust I wondered if anyone has a suggestion of a different manifold, gasket thickness or anything that will help it fit and look fairly standard?

mickey c

Back to top Go down

advice for fitting standard exhaust on starstream barrel Empty Re: advice for fitting standard exhaust on starstream barrel

Post  Scooter Paul Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:54 am

You need to make an adapter plate. Basically an alloy plate shaped the fit the holes on the crankcase and with another set of holes to align with your pipe. There isn't a lot in it but enough, as you've found out, for the pipe not to fit. When making the adapter plate be careful with the position of the silencer, especially if you have a carrier, as you can get it to sit too close to the rear mudguard.
Scooter Paul
Scooter Paul

Back to top Go down

advice for fitting standard exhaust on starstream barrel Empty Re: advice for fitting standard exhaust on starstream barrel

Post  mickey c Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:12 am

Strewth - that was a quick response Paul
and ah - of course. just a piece of steel with 4 holes to match the two on engine and two on the exhaust to bridge the gap? I didn't think of that because as like you say, it is pretty close to matching up but i'll go for the configuration that had the biggest gap / misalignment to make constructing an fitting the plate easier.
cheers for the tip re- positioning and angle at the back end too.
top man - thanks very much
Mike

mickey c

Back to top Go down

Post  daz.h Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:22 pm

in the past I've made the exhaust holes bigger and slightly opened out casing holes and used thicker copper gasket to put the exhaust further forward by a few mm
daz.h
daz.h

Back to top Go down

Post  mickey c Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:40 am

thanks for that, enlarging the holes was my original thought and moving the holes on the exhaust a bit. i'll try with the thickest gasket set up I have (&lots of liquid gasket) and see if I can et away with a bit of drilling, if not, i'll make a bracket which knowing my engineering skills - will look very home made!
hopefully be able to update my re-build post with some progress over the coming weeks.
thanks again chaps.

mickey c

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum