LUNA OWNERS CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

steering lock removal

4 posters

Go down

steering lock removal Empty steering lock removal

Post  mickey c Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:58 am

Early Seasons Greetings lunies
I've managed to finally get my engine out & that wasn't easy! I've still got sawn & seized engine bolts to get out of the silent blocks. Whilst I figure that out, I want to get the frame, leggier etc blasted & powder coated but I've no idea how to get the steering lock off! I dont have a key but would like to preserve & re use the lock. Any tips please guys?
Thanks
Mike

mickey c

Back to top Go down

steering lock removal Empty Re: steering lock removal

Post  Thackers Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:29 pm

Hi, can it simply be removed from the frame? They either bolt on or are the rarer clamp on type. There will be a number somewhere on it for the key id then it's off tio jem to get a key cut
Thackers
Thackers

Back to top Go down

Post  mickey c Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:51 pm

Thanks for the reply. It's got a bolt hole, removed that and tried tapping, hitting & levering it out to no avail! Do I just give it some more persuasion ? Do I need the key to get it out undamaged? It's about the only non rusty but so was hoping this would come out easy.

mickey c

Back to top Go down

Post  daz.h Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:53 pm

try giving the forks a wiggle when prizing off
daz.h
daz.h

Back to top Go down

Post  trotsky Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:19 am

Hi Mickey, once you've undone the bolt, there is a thin spacer/tension plate between the lock & the frame bracket (it should be on the opposite side to the tube).
Prise it out with a screwdriver & pliers. This should give you some wiggle room to be able to remove the lock. If you can, take a pic before you remove to remind you of how to re-fit it!! As Daz says then wiggle your forks & it should come out. If your forks go lock to lock then you should be ok. Hope this helps....Steve
trotsky
trotsky

Back to top Go down

Post  mickey c Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:46 pm

I managed to finish my Xmas shopping, wrap it & then follow the sage advice given. It worked a treat, thanks chaps!
Merry Christmas santa

mickey c

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down