LUNA OWNERS CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhh.......

4 posters

Go down

Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhh....... Empty Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhh.......

Post  Vega-Gordon Wed May 23, 2012 2:50 am

Finished the ignition switch conversion cheers But WTF - my CASA airbox is disintergrating, I had heard of this and thought the plastic had been changed. Who the hell specified plastic for an airbox that melts in contact with petrol! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Will have to superglue the parts together and re-inforce with Araldite. I don't suppose Casa are exchanging the bad ones? Crying or Very sad
Vega-Gordon
Vega-Gordon

Back to top Go down

Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhh....... Empty Arghh 2

Post  Vega-Gordon Thu May 24, 2012 7:06 am

I've stripped and cleaned the airbox. I think it is just the plastic of the internal restrictor that is being melted by the petrol. The outer case seems to be more of a polythene type material. I've superglued the restrictor back together and reinforced/coated the think with araldite, that should keep the petrol off it. I also think I'll drill a small hole in the bottom of the air box so blown back petrol can't puddle against the baffle. If this doesn't work I'll have to fabricate a metal inner, but that would be a major job. I also have a conical K&N filter that fits and would be a stop gap fix. Did the original airboxes have plastic insides?
Vega-Gordon
Vega-Gordon

Back to top Go down

Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhh....... Empty Re: Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhh.......

Post  Thackers Thu May 24, 2012 2:32 pm

Thackers
Thackers

Back to top Go down

Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhh....... Empty Looks Perfect - how do I order?

Post  Vega-Gordon Fri May 25, 2012 3:18 am

Yes that would do the job just fine Very Happy - how do I get one and pay - via PayPal?
Vega-Gordon
Vega-Gordon

Back to top Go down

Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhh....... Empty Re: Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhh.......

Post  Thackers Fri May 25, 2012 8:47 am

You'll have to contact Jimmers, send him a P.M or email he doesn't post on here very often, other than that try Scooterotica he sometimes posts on there
Thackers
Thackers

Back to top Go down

Post  daz.h Fri May 25, 2012 11:17 am

gordon, you must have got one of the early batch as they got recalled and exchanged, but this was probably around 6 years ago, possibly more.
daz.h
daz.h

Back to top Go down

Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhh....... Empty Airbox back together

Post  Vega-Gordon Mon May 28, 2012 4:36 am

Well I've glued the airbox back together and it seems OK, but the Vega decided to have a hissy fit and would tick over but wouldn't rev Sad . This is typical of water or gunge in the float bowl. I thought it was the petrol tap "three hole" membrane dissolving (I had this problem with my GP), but it looks OK, so I've cleaned the carb and put fresh petrol in, so I'll have to see how it goes. I've still not finished the ignition switch mod, as I haven't fixed it in the beam cover. I not 100% convinced that the headlight is as bright as it was. I'm just wondering if the switch hasn't added in a high resistance into the circuit. I want to try by-passing the switch and feeding the headlight directly to see what happens, if anything. scratch I haven't heard from Jimmers yet, about the metal innards for the airbox.
Vega-Gordon
Vega-Gordon

Back to top Go down

Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhh....... Empty It has to be dark

Post  Vega-Gordon Wed May 30, 2012 6:08 am

I checked the headlight and it's OK. Very Happy You need three things to get a proper output - 1. The reflector. 2. Plenty of revs. & 3. Darkness. Laughing
Vega-Gordon
Vega-Gordon

Back to top Go down

Post  siobhanellis Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:03 am

Vega-Gordon wrote:Well I've glued the airbox back together and it seems OK, but the Vega decided to have a hissy fit and would tick over but wouldn't rev Sad . This is typical of water or gunge in the float bowl. I thought it was the petrol tap "three hole" membrane dissolving (I had this problem with my GP), but it looks OK, so I've cleaned the carb and put fresh petrol in, so I'll have to see how it goes.

Interestingly enough one of my friends in Sydney had the same issue. He said it was the Casa air filter I sold him, so I let him try my NOS one... same issue. So then we tried my carb instead of his... and it worked just fine. So it was his carb.

I'm afraid we never narrowed it down to what it was about the carb.

siobhanellis
siobhanellis

http://www.lammiedrive.org.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum