LUNA OWNERS CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possible Indicator Switch Brain Wave?

5 posters

Go down

Possible Indicator Switch Brain Wave? Empty Possible Indicator Switch Brain Wave?

Post  Vega-Gordon Tue May 08, 2012 9:41 am

Just been contemplating the whichness of what, re indicator switches on Vega's. I thought that if the lights were controlled from a normal S3 ignition switch then there all the functions on the handlebar switch that you need. This is how my GP indicators are wired, using an Li style handlebar switch, with the wiring modified. But where to put the ignition switch? Then I thought why not in the beam cover, I must investigate to see if there's enough room. I imagine it might fit beneath the steering lock on one side or the other. It would need the wires extending, but that's easy. Oh, and you'd get an ignition switch into the bargain. Anyone else tried this?? Very Happy

Last edited by Vega-Gordon on Tue May 08, 2012 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo's)
Vega-Gordon
Vega-Gordon

Back to top Go down

Possible Indicator Switch Brain Wave? Empty indicator switch

Post  modgod Tue May 08, 2012 11:37 am

this is exactly what i am doing , but im making a legshield toolbox so the ign switch
will fit in there ,im using the bottom rocker switch on the h/bar as an indicator
switch ,& the top rocker switch as dip & main beam , as for the horn ,if it works
ill let you know , Very Happy

modgod

Back to top Go down

Possible Indicator Switch Brain Wave? Empty Check switch

Post  Vega-Gordon Wed May 09, 2012 2:26 am

The issue I had with using the Li switch (which complicated matters) is that there are "hidden" connections in the plastic base and to start with I couldn't separate the common feed wire from the side and headlight connections, so couldn't get them to be left and right. I worked it out in the end and made a diagram. I'll have a go at uploading it or could e-mail it. If the Vega is the same it will save you a lot of head scratching. scratch cheers
Vega-Gordon
Vega-Gordon

Back to top Go down

Possible Indicator Switch Brain Wave? Empty Re: Possible Indicator Switch Brain Wave?

Post  daz.h Wed May 09, 2012 2:54 am

i would stay well clear of doing anythinthing to the inner beam cover, they are a pain at the best of times, and no doubt difficulty fitting it could well result in wires getting damaged/ disloged.
daz.h
daz.h

Back to top Go down

Possible Indicator Switch Brain Wave? Empty Re: Possible Indicator Switch Brain Wave?

Post  siobhanellis Wed May 09, 2012 3:38 am

Vega-Gordon wrote:Just been contemplating the whichness of what, re indicator switches on Vega's. I thought that if the lights were controlled from a normal S3 ignition switch then there all the functions on the handlebar switch that you need. This is how my GP indicators are wired, using an Li style handlebar switch, with the wiring modified. But where to put the ignition switch? Then I thought why not in the beam cover, I must investigate to see if there's enough room. I imagine it might fit beneath the steering lock on one side or the other. It would need the wires extending, but that's easy. Oh, and you'd get an ignition switch into the bargain. Anyone else tried this?? Very Happy

Or you could ask if anyone happens to have an indicator switch for sale.

Siobhan
siobhanellis
siobhanellis

http://www.lammiedrive.org.au

Back to top Go down

Possible Indicator Switch Brain Wave? Empty Never one for an easy option

Post  Vega-Gordon Wed May 09, 2012 4:46 am

Siobhan.

I was never one for the easy option, however, do you have an indicator switch for sale? Very Happy I must admit that the beam cover is in place, but isn't screwed on yet. I still like the idea of an ignition key though. Laughing
Vega-Gordon
Vega-Gordon

Back to top Go down

Post  siobhanellis Wed May 09, 2012 4:50 am

Vega-Gordon wrote:Siobhan.

I was never one for the easy option, however, do you have an indicator switch for sale? Very Happy I must admit that the beam cover is in place, but isn't screwed on yet. I still like the idea of an ignition key though. Laughing

Well, amazingly, I do have an indicator switch available. Of course, these are made of unobtanium, but I'm sure we can come to an understanding.
siobhanellis
siobhanellis

http://www.lammiedrive.org.au

Back to top Go down

Possible Indicator Switch Brain Wave? Empty Unobtanium

Post  Vega-Gordon Wed May 09, 2012 5:00 am

Siobhan. A round trip to Pandora will take about 8 years, but give me a clue how much Unobtanium you need and I'll catch the next shuttle. tongue
Vega-Gordon
Vega-Gordon

Back to top Go down

Possible Indicator Switch Brain Wave? Empty Well I was warned

Post  Vega-Gordon Tue May 15, 2012 10:00 am

I'm pushing on with my ignition switch mod and against advice ( clown ) am putting it in the beam under the steering lock. I've rewired the new (key) ignition switch and checked the space available, there is loads of room in the cavity above the horn. I've modified the original Vega light switch, which is easier to do than an S3 one, as there are no "hidden" connections. So tonight with a bit of luck I'll mark the beam and drill a pilot hole to check the location. After that its out with the holesaw and do the deed. I'm really not having a problem with getting the beam on and off, maybe I've got the one good one they made. Very Happy I'll put some photos one, if I can find out how.
Vega-Gordon
Vega-Gordon

Back to top Go down

Post  Thackers Tue May 15, 2012 1:55 pm

Just seen this, i have a ignition switch in the centre beam. I went to the opposite side to the lock. There is plenty of room in there. I didn't use a Lammy switch i just used a simple on/off keyed switch. At least it can't be just kicked off and ridden away Neutral
Thackers
Thackers

Back to top Go down

Possible Indicator Switch Brain Wave? Empty Well I Was Warned Part 2

Post  Vega-Gordon Fri May 18, 2012 4:58 am

Finally got back to my ignition/lighting switch mod last night (repainting/rebuilding the summer house has been pushed up the priority list by SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED!). Anyway its gone smoothly except for the fact that the lights don't quite operate correctly. Mad I suspect that the switch may be shorting together the Brown and Purple feeds in the headlight on position. There are several variations shown in the wiring diagrams of how the switch is wired. Logically you would think that the sidelight would go out when the headlight is on, and some of the switch diagrams show this, others don't. I know for a fact that my GP sidelight stays on with the headlight. The answer may be to get on with the 12v conversion, as the regulator output is just one feed. clown
Vega-Gordon
Vega-Gordon

Back to top Go down

Possible Indicator Switch Brain Wave? Empty Cracked it!

Post  Vega-Gordon Mon May 21, 2012 9:14 am

Very Happy Well not literally! I've worked out the issue with S3 switch, which is that the switch doesn't quite follow the connection conventions shown in the various wiring diagrams Evil or Very Mad Effectively what you have is: Brown - Headlight supply to switch, Purple - Sidelight and Taillight supply to switch. Green - Ignition cut-out (to Earth) White (changed from Red) - Earth. Orange - supply to Low/High beam. Black - supply to Taillight. Yellow supply to Sidelight. I originally tested the Vega lights using this system, but they didn't work correctly. After much testing with an AVO I found that the Black and Yellow were connected together in ALL key positions!!! scratch This was causing a short. I just used the black to supply both side and tail lights as in the original Vega config. and it worked. cheers Now I can get back to finalising the wiring and fitting the switch proper.
Vega-Gordon
Vega-Gordon

Back to top Go down

Possible Indicator Switch Brain Wave? Empty Switches working now

Post  Vega-Gordon Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:10 am

Very Happy The ignition and light switch mod is working properley and the beam cover is (almost) in place - I can see now that it's those last little nudges that get it lined up are the hard ones Evil or Very Mad

I've also sussed the headlight brightness issue - it was my fault for using too much grease on the dip/main switch - it was causing a high resistance. I've cleaned it out with meths, I was going to use some conducting copper grease, but I thought it likely it would get across the contacts and cause a short. Embarassed

Time to do a bit more squeezing and bending of the beam.......
Vega-Gordon
Vega-Gordon

Back to top Go down

Possible Indicator Switch Brain Wave? Empty Lubrication it's what we all need!

Post  Vega-Gordon Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:52 am

Spent some more time squeezing my beam cover (Oohh - Err Missus Rolling Eyes ) It's nearly in place, the whole process has been greatly improved by a good dosing of 3 in 1 oil on the rubbers. I can see now that if the beam is opened up too much it can't slide far enough forward into the legshields. So I/ve now got three of the four holes lined up, two have even got screws in! The top left is still about 5mm out. Pass me the rubber mallett...... Twisted Evil

The process has been somewhat interupted by building a nest box for Little Owls (my wife's idea) now a Little Owl is about 4" tall. Do you know how big their nest box has to be - It;s a 6" square tube 36" long. complete with double entrance and overhanging roof to keep out the rain! Maybe wallpapering the inside was a bit over the top though.Laughing Now we have to pick a tree to put it in....... clown
Vega-Gordon
Vega-Gordon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down