LUNA OWNERS CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Original Cometa with Indicators Video

+2
daz.h
Staffy (Gareth)
6 posters

Go down

Original Cometa with Indicators Video Empty Original Cometa with Indicators Video

Post  Staffy (Gareth) Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:35 am

This ones for Daz mainly but have a look at the video link as its an original Cometa with indicators, interesting indicator switch thats used as not seen it before, plus i thought that the indicators were the same matt black as the rack and rear numberplate holder etc, rather than the chromed ones in the video.

Let the video run through as the camera eventualy moves around the scooter.

Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXDdmdLd96E&NR=1
Staffy (Gareth)
Staffy (Gareth)

http://www.staffordshire-terriers-scooterclub.com

Back to top Go down

Original Cometa with Indicators Video Empty Re: Original Cometa with Indicators Video

Post  daz.h Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:20 am

nice video, good spot staffy.
the indicators are the real McCoy, well in that clip, looks like a strange mounting posistion on the headset bottom, it looks like he has changed them over at some stage, to some black backed oblong ones, looks also to be running a varitronic system.
the switch is not standard, and later videos shows a seperate switch used to operate headlights and indicators operated by the rerouted standard switch.

i cant make out whats under neath the frame on later videos, perhaps its the flasher relay?

daz.h
daz.h

Back to top Go down

Original Cometa with Indicators Video Empty Re: Original Cometa with Indicators Video

Post  Staffy (Gareth) Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:18 pm

I didn't see the 2nd video to be honest as only saw the first, i can't believe he has taken off the original indicators and replaced them with that crap. (wonder what he's done with them and if they are for sale Wink )

In the first video the correct indicators are shown mounted just as has been discussed at length previously, couldn't quite make out the front mounting but they look spot on. I was interested in the switch on top of the bars in the first video as it was obviously for the indicators but not what is an original switch (the one you now have).

In the 2nd video the indicators have ruined it, and he's aded the extra lucas type switch behind the legshield for some unknown reason that i can't work out as it appears to be for the main lights, unless he likes the idea of using the original rocker switch high and low beanm position as a left or right indicator Surprised

Think your right about the Variatronic system and the relay but it could be because the main lights are on a lucas switch and then the indicators on the rewired main switch requires it to be fused in some way off the Variatronic, Variatronic looks good though.

Staffy (Gareth)
Staffy (Gareth)

http://www.staffordshire-terriers-scooterclub.com

Back to top Go down

Post  daz.h Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:46 pm

theres some good video's on there, never botherd looking before, but just spent last 30 mins trawling through various clips.
daz.h
daz.h

Back to top Go down

Post  lammievega Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:09 pm

Jaime (our spanish friend) linked me through facebook to this guy. He posted some excellent photos of a strip and rebuild of the top and bottom end of a cometa engine. Very good reference photos if anyone needed to rebuild their cometa engine Very Happy.
I'm not sure how to link to him through here but i could try if interested.
lammievega
lammievega

Back to top Go down

Post  daz.h Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:26 pm

it all helps jim, so link away
daz.h
daz.h

Back to top Go down

Post  lammievega Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:31 pm

lammievega
lammievega

Back to top Go down

Post  daz.h Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:02 pm

link worked for me, but i'm already a friend with him on facebook.
some good pictures.
daz
daz.h
daz.h

Back to top Go down

Post  lammievega Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:09 pm

That's brill Daz. I hope they help out others on this forum Smile
lammievega
lammievega

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:25 pm

Nice photos
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Original Cometa with Indicators Video Empty interesting

Post  siobhanellis Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:51 pm

So, a couple of interesting things. The rear indicators are mounted where the early ones seem to be, in that when they were launched in Australia.. the indicators at the back were mounted as in that video. later ones then had a bar half way down the rear number plate, and were mounted there instead.

The front ones are very interesting. I don't think he moved them as there is no hole in the headset top where they were mounted on the Australian models. It's a much better place I think, as they are protected by the handlebars... often in Australia, you find these machines with a broken headset top and missing indicator. Obviously someone came off, broke the headset... and couldn't get spares. Result? Machine goes in shed for 40 years.

Obviously switch is different.

Daz, it'd be interesting to know if that was the original switch. Reason being is that, apparently, it was the local distributors that put the switches on... my source being Renato De Pannone, whoose uncle worked for the distributor in Perth and who lent me his original Innocenti indicator engineering drawing, that you can find here:

Australian Indicator set up

Siobhan
siobhanellis
siobhanellis

http://www.lammiedrive.org.au

Back to top Go down

Post  daz.h Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:47 pm

siobhan,nice to see you back on here Smile
i have emailed the guy in question several times, and the indicators were old and he thought not original so disposed of Evil or Very Mad
now im not totaly sure, but from what i remember it was fitted with the indicators at a later stage and he used the hi/low beam switch to operate the indicators and the hi/low beam was on a seperate switch all together.
recalling that and looking at the exhaust it appears to be a early model adapted to comply with regulations, wether hat be japaneese or australian i'm not sure.
the red indicator switch though i have not seen on any other machine than the luna range, i did hear that some fantics were fitted with them, but after several hour of trawling the net and email galore, i found that they were similar, but far from been the same.
strangely enough there is no manufacturer's id on the back of the switch, my other vega switches have them ???????????????? i think they were just remanufactured to meet a specific demand ,hence the black platic ski slope on the top to stop water ingress, if innocenti were that bothered at the time surely they would have modified the whole throttle unit to accomodate the new switch, but as we know they were in dire straights at the time, so no doubt took the cheaper option, shame realy as there a swine to fit with the extra wires No
daz.h
daz.h

Back to top Go down

Original Cometa with Indicators Video Empty he what?

Post  siobhanellis Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:57 pm

He sold them? Bloody hell!

Funny, I went from a broken internal switch, to two 1/2 switches. The Cometa I got had one, and a spare! And of course my original 1/2 a switch.

Not surprised on how his lights were wire dup. The Innocenti GP's here had a modified LI trapezoid switch. It's quite easy to do, as I had to do it for my Serveta.

That lack of a manufacturers ID is a pain, isn't it? Same on the indicator box. I have two, but one has a broken terminal. Just says "made in germany", nothing else.

And, yes, I was surprised about how long it had been since I was on here.

Too busy doing other things, like the Milan-Taranto. I think i want to do that on a Vega next time! :-)

siobhanellis
siobhanellis

Back to top Go down

Original Cometa with Indicators Video Empty Made in Germany

Post  lammievega Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:22 pm

I remember buying an original indicator relay for a vega from Allstyles in Portsmouth some time back with 'Siemens' made in Germany written on the back.
Maybe the indicator units came from them?? Just a thought.... Smile
lammievega
lammievega

Back to top Go down

Post  siobhanellis Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:11 pm

Was it a blue rectangular box?
siobhanellis
siobhanellis

Back to top Go down

Post  lammievega Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:17 pm

Yes that's the one Smile Unfortunately i broke it and ended up using a yamaha one instead!
lammievega
lammievega

Back to top Go down

Post  Thackers Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:32 am

Got to ask this. So you guys that have the "Hens teeth" that are indicators on your machines, do you use them or just stick a hand out? It would go through my mind that if i break something with the set up i'll never find the parts to fix it Sad Sad
I bet there's a box full of the switches and indicators somewhere gathering dust that the owner doesn't know what they are for
Thackers
Thackers

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum