LUNA OWNERS CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clutch conversion

5 posters

Go down

Clutch conversion Empty Clutch conversion

Post  gc Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:34 pm

Read in the Vega feature in this month's Scootering that Dean had done a conversion to his clutch so that it would take S3 plates. I've been toying with the idea of trying to cram a 4 plate clutch (skinny plates and steels,perhaps a bit of machining) in but wondered what the conversion mentioned involved. Over to you, anyone with the knowledge Very Happy Cheers, Gary
gc
gc

Back to top Go down

Clutch conversion Empty Re: Clutch conversion

Post  Thackers Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:49 pm

What would the benefit be? You can still get plates etc for the luna range. Or am i missing the point? The price would have to be good bearing this in mind.
I would have thought a 12v conversion would have been a more needed upgrade (apart from a bigger cc top end Very Happy )
Thackers
Thackers

Back to top Go down

Clutch conversion Empty Clutch conversion

Post  gc Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:01 pm

Not had a problem (yet) after 5 years with 6v electrics/points so don't fancy splashing out there. I will be expecting the clutch to burn out so fancy being prepared for when it does as I think there will be a price to pay for the (very welcome and enjoyable Shocked ) extra cc's.
Might be an easy fix so will have a look at S3 plates and a Vega/Starstream clutch assembly to suss it out. Was just hoping for a kick in the right direction really Smile
gc
gc

Back to top Go down

Post  daz.h Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:46 pm

i think he means series 3 li plates, i used these in my first engine rebuild un be known to me at the time that j and luna type clutches were the same Embarassed
they are almost a exact fit, only need to remove a small amount from each tab, why innocenti never slightly modified the clutch bell and used the same cluch plates is beyond me scratch
i always use stronger clutch springs though, barely noticeable, no slip even on my old 125cc conversion.
daz.h
daz.h

Back to top Go down

Clutch conversion Empty clutch conversion

Post  gc Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:10 am

Thanks for that Daz, looks like I'll leave alone 'til something (if anything)happens re. clutch issues Smile
Which are the best clutch plates to use and who stocks them, think I'll at least get some to keep in reserve.
gc
gc

Back to top Go down

Post  Thackers Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:40 am

Jem Booth or Scootopia and Cambridge Lambretta will have them but you could check ebay aswell, I'm not too sure on prices.
Pete posted a list of dealers who have luna spares that might be worth a look at too Very Happy check his list in the Parts and alternatives page under Parts Avaliability thread Cool
Thackers
Thackers

Back to top Go down

Post  daz.h Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:19 pm

you can buy all the clutch parts from scooter restorations, great service, quick delivery, i would reccomend jem, but he has not been trading much lately due to various personal reasons i wont go into.
daz.h
daz.h

Back to top Go down

Post  Staffy (Gareth) Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:17 am

Thackers wrote:What would the benefit be? You can still get plates etc for the luna range. Or am i missing the point? The price would have to be good bearing this in mind.
I would have thought a 12v conversion would have been a more needed upgrade (apart from a bigger cc top end Very Happy )

As if by magic Smile

http://lambretta.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=6174

Clutch conversion Varitronic
Staffy (Gareth)
Staffy (Gareth)

http://www.staffordshire-terriers-scooterclub.com

Back to top Go down

Clutch conversion Empty Clutch upgrade

Post  Billy Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:33 am

Hello Daz,

You mention you've used upgraded springs on your Vega clutch. What springs did you use and where did you get them from?

Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  daz.h Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:45 am

gp clutch springs will be fine, most shops will have these in stock.
daz.h
daz.h

Back to top Go down

Post  Thackers Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:47 am

I have in mine the uprated springs you fit in a series 3, works well too
Thackers
Thackers

Back to top Go down

Post  itsjoeyfontane Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:37 pm

...had problems with clutch burn out...fitted tino sachi springs as used in mugello/monza kits from Armandos...they come in varying strengths..so matched my old crap ones to some stronger ones and casa plates...perfect...if that failed then was going to modify a five plate to four to fit vega....
itsjoeyfontane
itsjoeyfontane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down