LUNA OWNERS CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

External pick up

3 posters

Go down

External pick up Empty External pick up

Post  mickey c Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:55 pm

I had read about larger lambretta's using external pick ups which I think have a retard function. They are made by a clever chap called Anthony.

Another clever chap called Mike has used this pick & converted a Sunny stator to electronic, puts a bracket \ sensor on the Sunny flywheel and I've got an all singing electrical kit. Its been on a dyno & was great past 8.5k revs. Its really good.
External pick up Pbucket
I can post more details if anyone wants them but essential an electronic kit with ability to retard a little for a lot less than s lunatronic. I can't get my photo to post but hopefully I'll remember how to soon!

Last edited by mickey c on Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:52 am; edited 3 times in total

mickey c

Back to top Go down

External pick up Empty Re: External pick up

Post  storkfoot Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:40 pm

Not that my project is anywhere near the engine building stage, I'd be interested. I am aware of Anthony Tambs external pick ups, it's the self made stator and flywheel that sounds very interesting.
storkfoot
storkfoot

Back to top Go down

Post  mickey c Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:16 am

the stator uses the Sunny stator but I'd guess this because its much easier to source than vega / luna original ones.  All coils, points etc. removed and replaced with coils of a 12v electronic kit - apparently vespa and lambretta lighting coils etc. are the same.  Some with far more electrical know how than me have done this themselves using PK / PX stators but its way out of my league.

the sunny flywheel has a hole drilled and tapped to mount a metal bracket which activates the pick up as it spins.  Not the greatest description on my part and unfortunately until I work out what's happening with photobucket, I cant post any pictures.  There is some discussion and sort of advert on the Luna facebook page.

my only other thought is that I suspect there cannot be an inexhaustible supply of sunny stators and flywheels; these must at some point go the same way of the now much sought after sunny front and rear hubs.

mickey c

Back to top Go down

Post  Soulrebel Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:13 pm

Hi,just read this post with massive interest.
Scooter restorations do a 12v Sunny stator,does this mean with a Scootronics external pickup kit I could convert my wifes Lui to electronic?And would I need a Sunny flywheel or would the existing Lui one do?
Cheers
Soulrebel
Soulrebel

Back to top Go down

Post  mickey c Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:23 am

Hi Soulrebel
As you can see from my earlier post, i'm no electrical expert by any means. My set up and used by a few others uses is both sunny stator and flywheel but the 6 volt points system is replaced by Anthony Tambs' external pick up. i do have to say it works well, 5 years on and still working well, bright lights and runs well through the rev range

i'm not sure if the lui flywheel will work and wonder / guess if the issue is 6volt vs 12 volt flywheels. if you don't want to use / get a sunny flywheel, what i think would work would be to use the old AF lightened / small flywheels but you would have to swap the centre boss from your Lui flywheel into the AF one. i would like to do this as the sunny flywheel is really heavy but it needs a steady hand and some engineering skills. i think i have a spare AF flywheel if that's something you want to explore as cheap cheerful 12 volt conversion?

mickey c

Back to top Go down

Post  Soulrebel Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:59 pm

Cheers for the reply Micky,I have a spare electronic flywheel and have read about the centre boss conversion but worry about my skills!
May have a go,its not used so not got anything to lose.
Thanks again
Soulrebel
Soulrebel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum