LUNA OWNERS CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vega Double spark racing cylinder head

+4
mickey c
daz.h
Scooter Paul
JOHN KORDA
8 posters

Go down

Vega Double spark racing cylinder head  Empty Vega Double spark racing cylinder head

Post  JOHN KORDA Sun May 21, 2017 8:01 am

Hi there,
I join this forum for the first time so first hello everybody!
I'm from France so my english speaking may sound a little rotten..sorry for that.
I would like to know if someone has ever experienced the fitting of a double spark racing head on its Vega and if yes could he give some advices , infos etc about the ignition system it requires.

Regards

Vega Double spark racing cylinder head  Img_3410

JOHN KORDA

Back to top Go down

Vega Double spark racing cylinder head  Empty Re: Vega Double spark racing cylinder head

Post  Scooter Paul Tue May 23, 2017 7:07 am

Welcome John. I've never seen one but there are plenty of tuning guys and girls on here that love finding more power. There have been some conversions using the 125 Special head as it has a central 'squish' this requires plugging and redrilling the stud holes to suit the Vega barrel spacing.
Paul
Scooter Paul
Scooter Paul

Back to top Go down

Vega Double spark racing cylinder head  Empty Re: Vega Double spark racing cylinder head

Post  daz.h Tue May 23, 2017 4:03 pm

alan gardner will be overjoyed with this, hes said for years about a twin plug head, but no ones seen one before.
nice find john.
daz.h
daz.h

Back to top Go down

Post  daz.h Tue May 23, 2017 4:17 pm

just shown Alan this, he says his old one was the same, and from rafferty newmans wildcat conversion.
both plugs never fired at the same time, one was for normal use the other for fast road use, one plug was 16mm thread size from a Honda 50 and the other was a standard21mm plug.
daz.h
daz.h

Back to top Go down

Post  mickey c Sun May 28, 2017 12:51 am

Hi John
That is a good find.
I can't contribute anything to the use of it but would imagine if you could run it with the new advance \ retard electrical system, it would make swapping between the plugs more beneficial.
Let us know how it runs please.

mickey c

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Wed May 31, 2017 1:11 am

Heres another example
Vega Double spark racing cylinder head  34162892154_e821ccb61b_z

it was fitted to this old race scooter Vega Double spark racing cylinder head  34842961322_4aef5de7f7_z

Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  daz.h Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:26 pm

great pics, first time ive seen one.
daz.h
daz.h

Back to top Go down

Post  Thackers Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:41 am

Hi,welcome.
I don't see how a twin plug on a single cyl would work? Unless as already said a different plug for separate uses. That said wouldn't timing be have to be different for each plug to gain anything of an advantage?
Thackers
Thackers

Back to top Go down

Post  JOHN KORDA Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:25 pm

PREVIEW
Hi there,
Thanks for your infos about this strange double sparked cynlinder head.
Here is my vega . I have just restored it for the second time in 20 years. I fitted the double spark head in question but then removed it as i thought it was maybe

more reasonable to run the bike up with the original cylinder head.
For info, the bike has been a little tuned-up by folowing meticulously the Ken Herlingshaw tutorial from his famous tuning manual. I also fitted a varitronic 12v conversion kit and had a bigger bore piston (52mm) done by some precison mechanics worshop that is increases capacity up to 90.2cc. I did not ride the bike yet so can not tell how it actualy goes but it seems that the carb is set not too bad, the engine sounds good. I had to fit a 50 pilot jet instead of the stock 45 without which the engine inevitably stalled at idle even if the pilot screw was turned to the max. Now i will have to find the good main jet size and the goog timing.
By the way, does one of you has ever experienced different ignition timings with the varitronic kit on his Vega? Does the varitronic installation require a different setting than the stock 21° ? Is the difference between for instance 19° and 22° will really modify the way the engine performs ? 
Evindently noticeable are the adjustable rear shock, the tomaselli quick action throttle grip and the cross tires wich give a slight « sporty scrambler » style.
Also found a very unusual looking exhaust silencer that will give this vega its final touch but i have to make a special pipe to fit it and just did not find time for it yet.

Your commentary, suggestions, setting advices, critics welcome!Vega Double spark racing cylinder head  1a846110
Vega Double spark racing cylinder head  1abf9710
Vega Double spark racing cylinder head  4bd52d10
Vega Double spark racing cylinder head  D461b410

JOHN KORDA

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:36 am

Very tidy. What is the rear shock?

I’m sure you exhaust will be of interest as there are so few options off the shelf for us Luna owners.

No experience of the timing for your set up I’m afraid

Are you planning to run without an air filter? That will obviously make a massive difference to your jetting.
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  JOHN KORDA Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:09 am

Hi,-
The rear shock is a from a chinese brand named FastAce. You can find some on ali-express and on  websites dedicated to pit bikes. And also on ebay. Pitbikes use two differents kinds of rear shocks, some are positioned commonly , some almost horizontaly. The right kind for the Vega is the first type, as horizontal ones are usualy far more far too stiff ( around 1000lbs) and spring diameter bigger than the original lambretta schock. The right spring load rate for a lambretta scooter is more or less 300lbs. They usualy exist in different length and srping stiffness. Some are adjustable other are not etc..They’are truly beautifully made and unbeatable in terms of quality/price ratio. I bought this model a little less than 100€. The right length for the Vega is 295/300mm. This one was only 255mm long so i used an 40mm extender. 
I will use the original air box, i did the carb setting with it. It was certainly on the bench being modified i took these pictures.
The silencer i am planing to mount is from ali-express too and beautyfully made from stainless steel. It is  supposed to be a universal silencer for small capacity (50-250cm3). To be true i’m not 100% sure It will perform as well as the stock one but it is so special visually and fonctionnaly that it reall worth testing it!  require a alf U-bend pipe between exhaust manifold and itself. I will try to do the job in the coing days and will post pictures .

JOHN KORDA

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:26 pm

Hi thanks for the very detailed information on the shock. I know some of us on here have looked at pit bike shocks before but I don't think it came to anything because of one of length /spring diameter / bush sizes so interesting to see that you've over come these issues. I'm not in the market for one at the mo as I gave up and bought a remade casa one but interesting to see the extender that you built. It certainly looks very trick. How did you make that?

Also keen to see the pipe pictures. I think the stock exhaust is hard to beat looks wise - I loved flash Gordon as a kid Wink - but I think they are quite restrictive so perhaps there is a good chance to improve things.
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  JOHN KORDA Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:13 pm

Hi again,
Did not have to built any part. These shocks extenders are common aluminium parts available on modern scooters webshops and on ebay as well . Some are better designed and finished than others and they are mainly available in 25-30-or 40mm lengths. 
Regarding the stock 75 exhaust i’m not sure it is as restrictive as its reputation. Just have a look at the attached file here under (taken from the vega tuning dedicated pages in the Ken Herlingshaw tuning manual )...
To be true I just found a great  looking silencer on ali-express which i thought would match the design of the Vega maybe even better than the original one (But will certainly look terrible on any other bike). Please just wait a few weeks and i will send you pics of it fitted on my Vega and i promise you it will look amazing!! I just don’t know before testing if it will perform well with my Vega configuration but it truly worth trying.

Vega Double spark racing cylinder head  B7e8b510

JOHN KORDA

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:14 am

Fair point that. What way do you intend to compare performance levels between the two?
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  mickey c Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:44 pm

The scooter looks ace & you have clearly put time & effort in there! I hope it runs as well as it looks!
Great info on the rear shock, I didn’t know extenders existed! Love the front shocks too & very intrigued by the exhaust!!

mickey c

Back to top Go down

Post  JOHN KORDA Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:27 pm

Hi MickeyC
Thanks for your comments!
I’ll post the special exhaust once fitted on the bike. Maybe 2 weeks. It will be the final & unique touched!
Here attached the cylinder head i will fit after the running up time.

Vega Double spark racing cylinder head  B33e1710Vega Double spark racing cylinder head  B33e1710

JOHN KORDA

Back to top Go down

Post  Thackers Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:16 pm

Wow! That looks really good I'm loving that green paint work. Top class work on this bike. Cool Cool Cool
Thackers
Thackers

Back to top Go down

Post  JOHN KORDA Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:51 pm

Thanks , i think this green is matching the vega design pretty well. A praying mantis !

JOHN KORDA

Back to top Go down

Vega Double spark racing cylinder head  Empty Rear shock & extender

Post  sidhop Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:15 am

JOHN KORDA wrote:Hi,-
The rear shock is a from a chinese brand named FastAce. You can find some on ali-express and on  websites dedicated to pit bikes. And also on ebay. Pitbikes use two differents kinds of rear shocks, some are positioned commonly , some almost horizontaly. The right kind for the Vega is the first type, as horizontal ones are usualy far more far too stiff ( around 1000lbs) and spring diameter bigger than the original lambretta schock. The right spring load rate for a lambretta scooter is more or less 300lbs. They usualy exist in different length and srping stiffness. Some are adjustable other are not etc..They’are truly beautifully made and unbeatable in terms of quality/price ratio. I bought this model a little less than 100€. The right length for the Vega is 295/300mm. This one was only 255mm long so i used an 40mm extender. 
I will use the original air box, i did the carb setting with it. It was certainly on the bench being modified i took these pictures.
The silencer i am planing to mount is from ali-express too and beautyfully made from stainless steel. It is  supposed to be a universal silencer for small capacity (50-250cm3). To be true i’m not 100% sure It will perform as well as the stock one but it is so special visually and fonctionnaly that it reall worth testing it!  require a alf U-bend pipe between exhaust manifold and itself. I will try to do the job in the coing days and will post pictures .

Hi John, you dont have a link for the rear shock & extender looked all over Ali-express etc, but cant see one thanks S

sidhop

Back to top Go down

Post  JOHN KORDA Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:00 pm

Hi Sidhop , just go on ebay and search for “CRF50 shock” , you will find! !

JOHN KORDA

Back to top Go down

Vega Double spark racing cylinder head  Empty Fastace rear shock

Post  JOHN KORDA Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:29 pm

Hi Sidhop,
Have you found a fastace rear shock? I did not receive my exhaust muffler from the welder , that’s why I did not post the picture yet. Hope it will come soon.Vega Double spark racing cylinder head  F54eca10

JOHN KORDA

Back to top Go down

Post  Thackers Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:48 pm

I just love that bike cheers cheers cheers Cool Cool Cool Cool
Thackers
Thackers

Back to top Go down

Post  JOHN KORDA Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:02 pm

Thanks Thackers
Your vega seems to look nice too as far as i can guess it through this small round picure. Is it original blue in color or a is it a slightly different shade of blue?

JOHN KORDA

Back to top Go down

Vega Double spark racing cylinder head  Empty Latest Project

Post  Admin Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:52 am

John - did you get the message that I sent you on here?
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://lunaownersclub.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down