LUNA OWNERS CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

speedometer or not?

4 posters

Go down

speedometer or not? Empty speedometer or not?

Post  li mick Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:30 am

i have a lui 50cl that i hope will be soon ready for the mot,question is, now it has a cometa 75 cc engine can i still use the blanking plate for the headset instead of the speedo or will i have to fit the speedometer because the engine is now 75cc instead of original 50?
thanks,mick.

li mick

Back to top Go down

speedometer or not? Empty Re: speedometer or not?

Post  Thackers Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:19 pm

I'm pretty sure a speedometer isn't part of a MOT test. If you mot it as it was originally i.e 50cl then it will not require it if it wasn't produced with one, an increase in engine size won't be part of the test either.
Thackers
Thackers

Back to top Go down

Post  mickey c Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:11 pm

I'm sure Thackers is right about the speedo bit but also think that a milometer (? Spelling looks odd) is required for an MOT.
Also I'm fairly sure your insurance is invalid if you don't state increased engine capacity. There's obviously a question of whether anyone would know you have a 25cc increase? but if you do declare this, I think you will need a record of mileage!
With the faff registering my scooter I ended up speaking to DVLA & DVSA a few times and they did pick up the phone & were very helpful, a call would confirm all this.
Of course if you do need to fit one, finding & fitting a Vega one won't be easy!
Will you let us know what you do please, I'm intrigued!

mickey c

Back to top Go down

speedometer or not? Empty speedometer or not?

Post  li mick Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:45 pm

the reason i ask is that originally being a 50cl it was not fitted with a speedometer but with a blanking plate so no record of mileage either, so as it is now 75cc does it now need one or will it still be classed as a 50cl that doesn't require one.
i may go in and ask at my mot station,thanks for the replies folks Smile Smile Smile
i will keep you informed.

li mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooter Paul Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:59 am

A speedometer is not required for the MOT irrespective of capacity. It's not a tested item. As your bike is now 75cc you will need one for use on the road. People often confuse what's required for MOT and what is a legal requirement for road use. They are not always the same. If you have not declared your scooter as a 75cc then you're opening up a whole new can of worms. Not least your insurance will be invalid. If I have any queries I speak to my MOT tester. They have up to date information and locally are very helpful, being enthusiasts themselves.
Paul
Scooter Paul
Scooter Paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Thackers Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:00 am

I wasn't suggesting you don't tell your insurers or even change the details on the v5, merely just tell the tester it's a 50cl. As when he puts it into his computer it won't recognise a 50cl 75cc.
A easier way around a speedo is to get off ebay a Garmin Forerunner 101 sports watch, these connect to GPS so are accurate and easily readable on the move and can store top speed reached, and can be removed and work off 2 AAA battery's downside is the light only stays on for a minute or so in the dark then you have to re-set it.
You can pick one up for £ 25-35
Thackers
Thackers

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down