LUNA OWNERS CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I've got a Vega 75s... What next??

+2
Admin
Thackers
6 posters

Go down

I've got a Vega 75s... What next?? Empty I've got a Vega 75s... What next??

Post  Oblimey Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:10 am

Hi, I'm a new convert to the scooter world having been restoring old motorcycles for some years but now have obtained the little rusty beastie so shown.  It needs a lot of work and welding and replacement bits so I will be asking soon for help in getting a legsheild, rear mudguard, upper seat frame and other bits. I have already completed the engine rebuild without any problems so far, but now the hard bit comes with the metalwork.
Main frame needs welding and new legsheild brackets, can anyone offer any names who can do this work. I am based in West Mids/ Staffs area.I've got a Vega 75s... What next?? Image12
I've got a Vega 75s... What next?? Image13

Oblimey

Back to top Go down

I've got a Vega 75s... What next?? Empty Re: I've got a Vega 75s... What next??

Post  Thackers Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:51 pm

Oblimey, Oblimey!!!!! That's seen some better days for sure. Firstly Welcome cheers this is the place to be Luna's are the machine to be on.
I'm not too sure where to start and don't want to spoil the vibe but you have your work cut out there. Sadly luna range parts are quite expensive though prices are slowly creeping down due to re- made items that were harder than hard to find, but not all. The seat and it's base for one.
A little insight on prices i.e the headlight lens and rim, expect to pay around £ 40 for a remade rim and £ 60+ for the lens, ouch!!! The flipside is I think your front crash bar looks like an original accessory, and although a little rusty is very sought after in the right circles, not too sure about the back one though.
Sorry I can't advise on a welder as i'm in Harrogate, Yorkshire. I hope I've not dented your dreams and that your Luna will be on the road where it belongs.
Thackers
Thackers

Back to top Go down

I've got a Vega 75s... What next?? Empty Welcome Aboard

Post  Admin Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:02 pm

Nice to see you on here Oblimey are I sorted your registration paperwork out. Your Vega is a real project but not a bridge too far and as Thackers has said some parts are hard to find but not unobtainable. The front florida bars are rare as hens teeth so bear that in mind if you part with them, yes they need rechroming etc but they are rare.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://lunaownersclub.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Oblimey Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:14 am

Thanks for the welcome and nice to be part of the group. Thank you for the comments and encouragement ( I think) and hopefully I can get this completed ok.
My neighbours thought I'd gone mad when they saw me sweeping up the rust onto a shovel. But I will succeed...hopefully.
The Florida bars are in bad shape but reworkable hopefully, to be chromed along with original exhaust and a replacement chrome fuel tank.
I have the original log book and registration docs are currently with DVLA so all should be sorted soon.
The major problem is the lower section of the main frame is badly rusted and needs some TLC and legs shield footplates are shot so need some tin bashing here. Any advice on lambretta tin work experts would be appreciated.
It's a big departure from my usual classic vintage motorcycle stuff and this is a big learning curve for me into the mysterious scoot world.   pirat

Oblimey

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooter Paul Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:55 am

Welcome, Oblimey. Where abouts are you? Most members are 'north of the river' but it's a national forum with lots of folk very knowledgeable and willing to help.
Paul.
Scooter Paul
Scooter Paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Oblimey Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:09 am

Hi Paul, thanks for the welcome and looking forward to getting this thing completed and hopefully with others experiences I may achieve this.
I live near Tamworth Staffordshire so fairly central.

General question.
Are there any rallies or auto jumbles in the midlands area coming up in the near future where lambretta bits and pieces are sold.

Oblimey

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooter Paul Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:26 am

I'm not sue about 'part fairs' in the Midlands. Best place to search for Luna line parts is here. Very little stuff comes up at fairs. What are you after?
Paul.
Scooter Paul
Scooter Paul

Back to top Go down

Post  trotsky Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:19 am

Hi fella & welcome. Frame parts are hard - but not impossible to source. Legshields are near impossible to find - Mudguards, tanks & other body parts come up on the bay & frame struts along with other parts you may need can be got from Scootopia.

Hopefully you can save the front accessory bars as they are original, but if not Rimini lambretta produce re-made bars at a good price & have an extensive range of body (& other) parts for the Luna range. If you order other parts from them, then the cost of postage from Italy is not too eye watering Shocked .

The rear accessory bars are very hard to come by & have not been re-made, so be gentle with them & try to restore them!

Scooter Restorations in Nottingham, Scootopia in Weston, Armando's in Sheffield have a good range of parts, but i advise speaking to them on the phone as their websites don't do justice to the gear they have - especially Armandos who have a large amount of spares - well worth a visit!

Jason@Absolutely Scooters are also in Sheffield & he is an excellent fabricator so may well be able to sort your frame issues.

Hope this helps & good luck with it. With any parts you need, don't be afraid to stick a post on for them, you never know what we all have stashed away  Smile !!.....Regards Steve
trotsky
trotsky

Back to top Go down

Post  Oblimey Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:31 am

Thanks Steve for the info, the rear bars are ok but dented and one side has rusted through under the foot rubber so this could be done.

Has anyone noticed the front mudguard trim which is a 8mm dia bar around the front of the mudguard and the bracket over the top, is this part of a front carrier?...

Thanks for the names of suppliers etc they wil be very useful contacts.
Had a close look at front forks last night and realised the mudguard bolts have sheared off in the fork crown so looking for replacement forks, rear mudguard, upper seat frame, wheel and loads of luck.

Oblimey

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooter Paul Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:47 am

Armandos have new old stock forks. About £50 I think.
Paul.
Scooter Paul
Scooter Paul

Back to top Go down

Post  trotsky Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:10 pm

Hi oblimey, if you look in the rare & unusual section under "Vega accessory photos", rob has put some great pix of front embellishers & other goodies to give an idea of bits you could get for the luna range..... Smile
trotsky
trotsky

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:53 am

Wow that is some project you have. Like all the others have said. You have struck lucky is some respects in terms of the bars.
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  Oblimey Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:01 am

Project is now well underway but I need a set of leg shields as the ones I have are rotten on the footplate area and need either rebuilding or preferably replaced. I would like to know if anyone knows if any are for sale or where I may be able to get a set.

Oblimey

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:51 am

Leggies are usually around £90 - £100 I'd say. Ebay or sales on here or the Luna FB group are probably you best bet.

I have a set of fibre glass ones if of interest. And I bracket so that they will fit to the frame.
Let me know if that is of interest to you. They are only moulded on one side and have a small amount of damage that could be easily repaired with some filler.

Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  Oblimey Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:46 am

Thanks snails, I have seen grp ones on eBay and wondered if they are ok and do they look the part. Do they use different brackets to fix or do they use the main struts on the frame. Any price in mind??

Oblimey

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:54 am

Most fibreglass ones are single sided - so you dont get the floor board patterning that real legshields would have, but if you fit mats like most people do I dont think you'd see this anyway. They also dont have a fixing mechanism so something to fix the legshield to the frame is needed. I have a bracket for this - a copy of the bracket fixed to real legshields I believe. You can see these for sale on ebay.

I'm thinking £35 plus postage including the bracket - although I have no idea how to post these safely.

I live in Manchester if you are anywhere nearby.
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down