LUNA OWNERS CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frame cover removal?

2 posters

Go down

Frame cover removal? Empty Frame cover removal?

Post  Ministrone Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:06 pm

Has anyone any handy hints for removing the frame cover?
I need to fit a longer throttle cable and have removed the fitting bolt/screws and also the headset clamp bolt. The cover seems to not want to move, do I pry up the back of the cover first and then remove the front???????

Any tips would be welcome.
Ministrone
Ministrone

Back to top Go down

Frame cover removal? Empty Re: Frame cover removal?

Post  trotsky Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:18 am

Hi, sadly you are about to take on probably the worst job on a Luna there is Shocked .

Ideally if you can, try & pull the new cable thru using some wire etc attached to the old one. Obviously this will only work if your cables haven't been secured to the frame, but would be a much simpler/stress free option than removing the beam!

If not, if you can get some-one to help it will be easier. Having undone the 4 bolts & screws that secure it to the frame, you need to raise the headset up quite a way so that the top of the beam will come past underneath it (hopefully you'll have enough give in the cables/loom).
You then have to pry the beam from the top, out under the headset bottom & past the steering lock at the same time.

The best way i find is to use something long down from the top of the inside of the beam that will push out the beam over the lock as you remove the beam. Once this part is done the beam will come off easily!

When putting it back on start from the bottom 1st. Apply copious amounts of washing up liquid to the rubbers to aid fitment. The same applies in reverse at the top. You may well find that you may have to "force down" the beam once back in place, to line up the holes.

It isn't the easiest of jobs & will test your terets some what, but can be done with time & patience Wink. Use plenty of rags & go as gently as possible to keep your paintwork safe.  

Good luck & let us know how you got on....Steve
trotsky
trotsky

Back to top Go down

Post  Ministrone Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:47 pm

Thanks for the advice, you were right it was a pig of a job.
In the end I found a set of those plastic tools used for taking apart car dashboards.

I taped up the frame and headstock with cheap gaffer tape and pryed up the back edge to take the pressure off the leg shield end, this made it easier to lift the front end out. The new cable and quick action throttle are on now, I just need to put the headstock and beam back on again.
Ministrone
Ministrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum