LUNA OWNERS CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

electronic kit

+3
wack 63
daz.h
shand
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

electronic kit Empty electronic kit

Post  shand Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:34 am

Good Afternoon
Has any body fitted one of the Tino Saatchi electronic kits, if so did you have any problems, I tried to fit the flywheel and it binds on the stator plate fixing screws, these are the ones that came with the bike and to be honest they are quite chunky, any recommendations on what type of fixing screws to use
Cheers
shand
shand

Back to top Go down

electronic kit Empty Re: electronic kit

Post  daz.h Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:35 am

personally, I would not use any other screws, I'd take it back, if it does not fit with what's supplied then it should not have been sold, I dare say also if something goes wrong and you take it back under warranty, if you've not used the right stuff it could invalidate the warranty.
daz.h
daz.h

Back to top Go down

Post  shand Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:42 am

Screws weren't supplied with the kit Daz, they are Phillips cheese head screws, out of interest do you know what type of screws and washers should be fitted
shand
shand

Back to top Go down

Post  wack 63 Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:48 pm

wack 63

Back to top Go down

Post  daz.h Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:55 pm

there good what wack suggested as they have a lower profile, not sure of length without going in the shed
daz.h
daz.h

Back to top Go down

Post  trotsky Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:10 pm

Hi Shand, I have just put a Varitronic on the Vega & the Flywheel would lock onto the bobbins on the Stator when I tightened the flywheel down. I phoned a few dealers who sold the kit but to be honest none gave me a confident answer to the problem, so I had the Mag housing face milled down 3mm to give me clearance, problem solved. My understanding is the Varitronic doesn't use a black box pick up like a normal electronic, so it's not so critical about distance as there aren't fingers on the flywheel to line up with a black box. It seems the spark & timing are controlled by the coil. As for the screws, I just use 6mm x 20mm button Allen bolts & thin washers (thou Wacks bolts would do the job nicely). I hope this helps & makes sense....Steve
trotsky
trotsky

Back to top Go down

Post  shand Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:05 am

Changed the screws and fitted a new woodruff key fitted the flywheel, started to torque it up and the flywheel nut shit itself, it was all free up to that point so I may be ok. The kit came with big spring washer are you supposed to use this instead of the wavy washer cos I didn't, anyway job stopped till I get a new flywheel nut
shand
shand

Back to top Go down

Post  trotsky Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:17 am

Bugger Sad  I didn't see a spring washer in mine? I just used a wavy washer. Seem to have no issues & I've had it on & off a few times, I also lapped the flywheel to the crank. I must admit I've seen some nuts that look like they are made of cheese Shocked Shocked Hope you get sorted...
trotsky
trotsky

Back to top Go down

Post  shand Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:52 am

Thanks for the reply, I'll order a new flywheel nut and wavy washer and I'll invest in a decent 6 sided socket and see how I get on Neutral
shand
shand

Back to top Go down

Post  VEGA luke Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:11 am

myself and dad had same problem on his VEGA we ended up changing the standard bolts holding the stator with some spear BGM bolts and it worked perfectly done thousands of miles on it and no problem
VEGA luke
VEGA luke

Back to top Go down

Post  shand Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:48 pm

Thanks for that Luke, I'll have to wait till the new flywheel nut comes to see if the issue has been sorted, did you fit the cdi and regulator in the same place as the old coil and junction box
shand
shand

Back to top Go down

Post  VEGA luke Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:37 am

yes but bit untidy the best way to do it would cut a hole in the frame like trotsky has on his project
https://lunaownersclub.forumotion.com/t845p45-latest-project
VEGA luke
VEGA luke

Back to top Go down

Post  shand Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:50 pm

I'm afraid work like that is beyond me Crying or Very sad I've made a bracket to stand the cdi off so it clears the cowl and a small plate for the regulator to tuck it up into the frame, then a bit of jiggerypokery with the wiring, then all I need is the flywheel to fit, time it up and that should be it Neutral
shand
shand

Back to top Go down

Post  shand Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:30 pm

Well my piss is well and truly boiling, I seem to have the same problem as Trotsky, the flywheel is fouling on the bobbins that the coils are wound on. I'm not that much of an optimist that I thought it would be plug and play but I didn't expect to have to take it apart an get it machined to make it fit Mad
shand
shand

Back to top Go down

Post  daz.h Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:46 pm

in the past I have cut down the plastics on the sides of stator coils to prevent fouling, but as I said previously, I'd take it back.
daz.h
daz.h

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:46 am

shand wrote:Well my piss is well and truly boiling, I seem to have the same problem as Trotsky, the flywheel is fouling on the bobbins that the coils are wound on. I'm not that much of an optimist that I thought it would be plug and play but I didn't expect to have to take it apart an get it machined to make it fit Mad

For the money these cost I would want it to work out of the box. I know things are difficult to design for lammys because of all the variations, pattern parts etc but its not exactly cheap.

Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  shand Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:31 am

I'm getting the mag housing milled at work, I contacted scootercenter, told them about the problem and they requested photographs which I've sent but as yet I have had no reply. I would prefer to use dealers in this country but there aren't many with a stock of vega spares so you can can end up using 2 or 3 dealers for 1 order which in turn doubles or trebles the postage and scootercenter were considerably cheaper than the only uk dealer who had them in stock. I really want this to work otherwise I probably would be going down the give me my money back route
shand
shand

Back to top Go down

Post  li mick Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:39 pm

trotsky i have a varitronic electronic ignition that i am going to fit later in the year,it is labelled "lunatronic   lui 50/75  j 100/125 is this the same type you fitted because i was wondering if i will have to get the mag housing milled also.....mick.

li mick

Back to top Go down

Post  shand Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:17 pm

Mine came in plastic case and its marked lunatronic on the flywheel
shand
shand

Back to top Go down

Post  li mick Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:32 pm

shand wrote:Mine came in plastic case and its marked lunatronic on the flywheel
mine is marked lunatronic  lambretta.it on the flywheel and also came in a plastic case so it looks as if i will have the same trouble?

li mick

Back to top Go down

Post  trotsky Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:04 pm

Hi Mick, mine has this on the Flywheel. I can't say if you'll come across the same issues as myself & Shand? Others must have this kit on but I haven't seen anything about the woes we're having posted anywhere. The only good thing is that if you do come across the same issue, is that a solution has been hopefully sorted (thou as Snails said, it should all fit out the box)!!  Crying or Very sad  I'm sure Shand will post his outcome once he has rectified his problem & this will help others going forward...Steve  

electronic kit Vega_Rebuild_003
trotsky
trotsky

Back to top Go down

Post  li mick Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:18 pm

trotsky wrote:Hi Mick, mine has this on the Flywheel. I can't say if you'll come across the same issues as myself & Shand? Others must have this kit on but I haven't seen anything about the woes we're having posted anywhere. The only good thing is that if you do come across the same issue, is that a solution has been hopefully sorted (thou as Snails said, it should all fit out the box)!!  Crying or Very sad  I'm sure Shand will post his outcome once he has rectified his problem & this will help others going forward...Steve  Thanks Steve im looking forward to trying this out and its good to know that it will have been tried and tested before i start my convertion and yes it looks like the same flywheel  Smile

electronic kit Vega_Rebuild_003

li mick

Back to top Go down

Post  shand Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:57 pm

Mag housing is now milled, timing marks checked, lapped the flywheel to the crank nice matt finish with no high or low spots, just need a mag side oil seal and a new flywheel puller then fingers crossed........
shand
shand

Back to top Go down

Post  trotsky Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:27 pm

Nice one... Wink
trotsky
trotsky

Back to top Go down

Post  shand Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:41 am

Right got it together, started nice and easy Very Happy , strobed timing ticking over at 23 degrees retarding to 17 at three quarter to full throttle, does this sound about right Question
shand
shand

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next