LUNA OWNERS CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vega Mag Flange and Cranks Differences

4 posters

Go down

Vega alternatives - Vega Mag Flange and Cranks Differences Empty Vega Mag Flange and Cranks Differences

Post  Snails Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:49 pm

Just thought I'd add links to some photos Daz was good enough to upload to the LCGB that shows the different types of mag, bearing and cranks used in Vegas

Vega alternatives - Vega Mag Flange and Cranks Differences 4009479322_ddcd07b905_m

Vega alternatives - Vega Mag Flange and Cranks Differences 4009478082_9db59c21e3_m
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Vega alternatives - Vega Mag Flange and Cranks Differences Empty Re: Vega Mag Flange and Cranks Differences

Post  Snails Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:04 am

Daz's description from the old LCGB forum site

a few more pics here.
ignore the condition of the cranks, its the difference in them that you are looking for.
one on the left is the common 3 part bearing type, identified by a deep section on the crank web(circled red) and also 2 slots in the side (circled green) to allow the jaws of the workshop tool to get behind to pull off the inner track.
the red circle on the right crank shows a mutch shallower section and it is tapered, this is the roller ball bearing crank.
the next pic is of the mag flanges, on the left the thre part bearing type and on the right the roller ball bearing type.
these parts are not interchangeable.
it might be possible (but i have not tried it) to machine out a 3 part bearing type mag flange to suit the roller ball bearing.
the roller ball bearing is lubricated by oil /petrol mix, the 3 part bearing by grease held back by oil seal.
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Vega alternatives - Vega Mag Flange and Cranks Differences Empty Re: Vega Mag Flange and Cranks Differences

Post  Snails Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:08 am

How can you visually tell the difference between the mag flanges Daz?
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  daz.h Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:42 pm

if there in posistion i doubt you could other than possible part numbers.
daz.h
daz.h

Back to top Go down

Post  ScootersO Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:32 pm

I have a single bearing type Vega engine. the Mag Flange has part number 20.95.0045 cast into it. As the engine was assembled when I took it apart I'm going to assume I have the right crank.

I did break the original flange, but managed to find a spare already.

Finally got all the boxes out and Ill start sorting what I have - so expect more questions soon!

is it correct for a Vega to have ball end levers? or were they pointed like Ser 3 types...

ScootersO

Back to top Go down

Vega alternatives - Vega Mag Flange and Cranks Differences Empty levers

Post  siobhanellis Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:00 pm

Ye sit is correct to have ball end levers. They are desirable, in fact.

Casa remakes pointy ones.
siobhanellis
siobhanellis

http://www.lammiedrive.org.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down