LUNA OWNERS CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spare Wheels

2 posters

Go down

Spare Wheels Empty Spare Wheels

Post  Snails Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:19 am

How come some rims have studs as part of the rim and some dont!  Twisted Evil 

Anyway I have two rims with the studs and one that does not. Its going to look a bit rubbish if I just use bolts and nuts to fix the two half of the rims together. I dont suppose anyone knows how long a bolt is required so a dome nut can be used?

I use dome nuts to fix my rims together and normal nuts to fix the rims to the hubs. i think it looks nicer and means i dont unbolt the wrong ones when changing tyres.
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Spare Wheels Empty Re: Spare Wheels

Post  Scooter Paul Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:53 am

If a rim has no studs it means that at some time they have broken out. The rims are supposed to be fitted to the hub by bolts unlike large frame Lambrettas that have studs and nuts. Large frames used nylocs for the rim halves and domed for the hub studs. If your bike has studs in the hub that's a new one on me. I have seen bolts and nuts used on the hubs when the thread in the hub has worn out. No real biggy as long as you tighten it all up evenly.

Paul
Scooter Paul
Scooter Paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:48 pm

Thanks for the response Paul. Sorry for the confusion I do fit the rims to the hubs with bolts. I use my use my nylocs and some nuts the other way round to the way you describe.

Anyway looks like I will have to use bolts to fit the two halves together. Maybe I will cut the bolts shorter so I can use domes. Should not be too tricky to work out a safe length. Need to be careful to ensure the domes lock properly.
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum