LUNA OWNERS CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possible conversions?

4 posters

Go down

Possible conversions? Empty Possible conversions?

Post  tonyicon Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:57 pm

Hi, I am starting prep for a 'replica' of Tullio Masserini's Vega as used in the International 6-days Trial (Featured in 'Scootering' a few months ago and now in Vittorio's museum in Rodano). Since I am now a rather 'fat bastard', I'm interested in ways of improving the performance, preferable not at the expense of excessive fuel consumption. Can the group wizards tell me what practical options are available? I would like to go to a 4 speed transmission if possible. Also what are the known failure points on the Vega (hubs, frame, suspension, engine mounts, etc.) to look out for? Any help would be much appreciated, as would pointers to useful links or suppliers. I've noticed that most of the links mentioned in the forum are now dead. I haven't owned a vVega since 1970! Thanks in advance, Tony T

tonyicon

Back to top Go down

Possible conversions? Empty Re: Possible conversions?

Post  NIGE Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:46 pm

hi to another ex vega rider from the past .good luck with project.most of the vega would be up to it maybe strengthen forks.good nuts and bolts nyloc. engine wise depends on cc you are going to use
NIGE
NIGE

Back to top Go down

Post  NIGE Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:23 pm

useful people. jem booth.scootopia. allstyles.cambridge lambretta.rimini lambretta.olypia italy. k and s derby.daz for quality stainless.there are some more .but i have never used them.engine tuning .chiselspeed.mick abbey scooterotica .hope this can help you .
NIGE
NIGE

Back to top Go down

Possible conversions? Empty Vega conversions

Post  tonyicon Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:25 am

Thanks for the useful link information.
To clarify, I am thinking I would like to take the Vega out to at least 125cc and use a 4-speed gearbox.

tonyicon

Back to top Go down

Possible conversions? Empty practical advice

Post  littlewilly Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:04 am

I have never been a Vega owner but maybe I can point you in the right direction as no-one else here seems to have told the basics you need to know - firstly you can't take-out the Vega cylinder to !25
as you would end-up with a pile of big washes, because you would need the J125 4 speed crankshaft
which has a longer stroke to do a conversion and they are considerably rarer than hens teeth these days. Sad
However a 100cc conversion is much more attainable and this is one reason L.A.S.C.A introduced A 100cc racing class in the early 70's to allow Vega owners the chance to compete without excessive costs to competitors and not just let this model's entries be dominated by trade sponsored bikes.
This conversion can give around 9 - 10 BHP and similar performance to an Italian GP 150 (if done right)
it also has the advantage of producing far less vibration than a 125 conversion which dose vibrate far
to much for everyday practical uses
if you wish full details for ether conversion PM me and I'll look-up my notes for part numbers and
the full procedures necessary to do it Wink

littlewilly

Back to top Go down

Post  tonyicon Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:37 am

I can't PM yet as I only joined a couple days ago. Thanks so much [littlewilly] for the helpful post!
I would very much like to see any info you have on the 100cc and 125 conversions, as well as any other resource material you can point me to!

The last time I played with a Vega was in the early 70s when I built one from parts, but having tried to build a 250cc SX in 1967, I know exactly what you mean by the 'pile of washers'!

Email is tony.tessier at iconsystems dot com

Cheers

Tony

tonyicon

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:21 pm

Tony have you bought your bike for this project? You've mentioned changing to a 4 speed on a couple of occasions which to me suggests that you have a Lui 50.

If you want to convert this to a 125 its a pain in the arse and you'd be much better off sourcing a vega engine which would also give you a four speed.

Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  NIGE Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:43 pm

yes .snails is right .if going to use 125 .for the event you would not want a highly tuned engine i would have thought .clean ports up. maybe enlarge inlet a little.20mm carb. vega exhaust.have a look on youtube.a guy as a modified lui with a 80cc parma kit 3 speed .larger sprocket .snail exhaust .goes well.rimini do all the parts except exhaust.new 50 and 75 cranks now aswell .hopefully new cranks will be available for 125s
NIGE
NIGE

Back to top Go down

Possible conversions? Empty Duh!

Post  tonyicon Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:39 pm

Thanks Nige and Snails, I don't know what I've been thinking (or smoking)!
Somehow I got it into my head that the Vega had a 3 speed box. That's what comes of not paying attention for 40 years.
I have procured a Vega 75s from Italy, although I have not yet seen even a photo of it, so am waiting with baited breath to see how good or bad it is. I understand it is complete, in original yellow ochre and in fairly good nick. Fingers crossed! I'll post some pics when I get them.
I have had very good experience with Rimini Lambretta - they built my SX150 Motogiro replica.
I am going to the mostra scambio in Reggio Emilia next weekend - any hen's-teeth-like parts I should be looking out for?

tonyicon

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:03 am

Rare parts, just about everything, except a few things made by casa and somebody work, forks mudguards are easy enough to find, leggies less so. Air filters, pipes in good nick, seats, all the little fiddly pits are tricky
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:04 am

When did remade cranks become available nige?
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:06 am

Oh if you see any silent blocks buy em for me! Fat chance though.
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  NIGE Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:02 am

spotted them on rimini last week.i think they are 150 quid .are your silent blocks knackered.these things need to be remade and also headlight rims . i managed to find a genuine nos shocker a few years ago paid loads for it and then they go and remake them .thats a good thing .but i am theone left out of pocket i paid that much because i needed one .some of the more rare parts should be remade now
NIGE
NIGE

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:26 am

More like invisible than knackered
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Possible conversions? Empty your name rings a bell

Post  littlewilly Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:22 pm

tonyicon wrote:I can't PM yet as I only joined a couple days ago. Thanks so much [littlewilly] for the helpful post!
I would very much like to see any info you have on the 100cc and 125 conversions, as well as any other resource material you can point me to!

The last time I played with a Vega was in the early 70s when I built one from parts, but having tried to build a 250cc SX in 1967, I know exactly what you mean by the 'pile of washers'!

Email is tony.tessier at iconsystems dot com

Cheers

Tony

I think I may know you tony, maybe from a place next-door to the british legion (if so you are
no amateur yourself) and the names of D Lancaster & Mike Clark who raced the club might also,
ring a bell for you, I think you also had a young lady competing at the start of scooter racing
proper in 69 -can't remember her name though.
will email you what options I have available to you anyway,
nice to see another rave from the grave haunting the site Ha Ha Razz

littlewilly

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum