LUNA OWNERS CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello, new

4 posters

Go down

Hello, new Empty Hello, new

Post  Clipper Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:45 pm

Hello
I have only just found this website, it is so good to find a forum for the Luna range.
I had a Vega 75 way back in 1970s. I used to race them, I had the race numbers 408, 220, and 77.
Some of images are on Dave Tooley's site.
In my last year 1974, when I was No 77, I came 6th in the individual L.A.S.C.A championship for all classes with 73 points. That year Ray Kemp came 1st with 101 points. and 97 people raced in seven classes.
Group 1 up to 104cc, Group 2 up to 129cc, Group 3 up to 158cc, Group 4 up to 209cc, Group 5 specials up to 158cc, Group 6 standard above 209cc and Specials above 158cc, Group 7 Combinations.

In 1972,3,4 we raced at Snetterton, Lydden Hill, Llandow, Cadwell Park, Croft. The Vega was not tuned to extreames but had the ports done, head skimed, lightened flywheel no fins, no head cowling air scooped from under boards. A little longer down draught manifold with cooling fins, 26mm Amal carb, sprocket changes. front dampers. An Ancillotti Elvington race seat and lowered bars. Other things I can't remember now, it was 38 years ago.
In the early days the Vega was original Turchese but later became John Player racing style black. I found this image of me (77) in the background of an image that was on Lunabase. It looks like Snetterton just past the footbridge on the start finish straight. The Vega's with Yellow number backgrounds are up to 129cc mine is still with them and it's a 75cc
ALL these years later have just found the Felixstowe Coaster Scooter club are still going. Now called The Costers Scooter Club. I manged to meet some of my old mates at the 50th Anniversary this year.
Still trying not to get another Vega but I am getting the urge.

Hello, new ClipperNo77

Last edited by Clipper on Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:42 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : seat name)
Clipper
Clipper

Back to top Go down

Hello, new Empty Re: Hello, new

Post  daz.h Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:06 pm

welcome clipper, and dont fight the urge, treat yourself.
a great bit of history there clipper, thank you for sharing it with us.
do you ever recall the 5 port rafferty newman cylinder?
daz.h
daz.h

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:51 am

Wonderful picture. I absolutely love it and have looked at it many times. Thanks for the back story. The finned down manifold was that a custom part?
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  Clipper Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:02 pm

daz.h
Rafferty Newman 5 port, mmm never did see one or even Know any in Suffolk having a Luna one, or even if they were allowed when I raced? Not sure when they were band.

Snails
The inlet manifold. I made from steel, in fact I made many, trying different lengths and angles a bit trial and error till it seemed the best. I put the cooling fins on thinking it may be getting warm as it bolted to the cylinder and that got hot, also knowing the bikes went quicker on cool mornings. Never was sure if it made any difference but it made me feel better. Laughing
If only we had the internet then so ideas and info could pass around like now.
I remember it was always fun going around the pits looking at the other bikes in my class, seeing if any changes had been made since the last meeting.
Clipper.
Clipper
Clipper

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:53 am

Ah yes the internet sure makes things easier. My friend had a vega when we were 16 in bits in a box which is where it stayed as we had no idea about what to do about it.
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  Thackers Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:29 am

Go on Clipper dive in the water's still warm, Luna's can't be denied cheers cheers
Thackers
Thackers

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum