LUNA OWNERS CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Electronic conversion

2 posters

Go down

Electronic conversion Empty Electronic conversion

Post  Snails Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:50 pm

Anyone done the drilling out of the rivets holding the stator plate electrics themselves? I'm a bit nervous of doing this myself but cant afford to pay someone to do it for me. Any advice on how to ensure the job is done well would be much appreciated.
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Electronic conversion Empty Re: Electronic conversion

Post  Thackers Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:02 pm

Yes, i did the conversion and removed the rivits from the stator plates. The first thing i can think of is take photos of how the stators are wired up. I didn't and got lost a little with where the wires etc go. The way i removed the rivits was using a dremmel type tool and ground the heads off then punched them through enough to get a good grip with nosed pliers and twisted and pulled them out. Some came easier from one side some the other side depending on access to the rivit head. I used m4 machined bolts and nylocs to fasten it all back together with some epoxy resin over the ends to make sure they dont rattle loose. Check for clearance with how you choose to replace the rivits with the flywheel boss, i think i had one that was slightly rubbing.
Thackers
Thackers

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:58 am

Ah thanks Thackers, you see i was planning on drilling out the rivets and was worried about ensuring that the drill holes are straight. Which dremmel tool did you use?
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  Thackers Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:00 pm

It was probably a burr or a diamond (supposidly) coated bit . Something pointed and metal grinding would do just as good after all your only removing the head. Remember some come out better from one side, some the other. Keep asking there's plenty on here with more knowledge and better at explaining.
Thackers
Thackers

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:06 am

Ok. Another dumb question. What did you use to punch the rivets through?
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  Thackers Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:50 am

I used a fine point nail punch, but if you have a masonry nail or even just a standard nail around the same diameter that will do. It's only to get the rivet started, then from the other side with a pair of nosed pliers pull and twist the rivet out. Wink
Thackers
Thackers

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:36 pm

Cheers. I tried a stainless bolt but just ended up with a bent bolt and a painful thumb! Very Happy
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:34 pm

I'm positively flying now. One pin out, four to go. Unfortunately I snapped the stator plate Sad lucky it was the pk one and lesson learnt for when a find a Luna j range stator to butcher
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Electronic conversion Empty 4 down!

Post  Snails Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:54 am

4 down now! Thanks Dave for the extra advice. Cool Last one is a bit tricky to access. Should I cut the black wire or can it be unsoldered?

Electronic conversion 5532683392_de2771bfae
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  Thackers Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Just un-solder it then the wire is the right length, one more thing take photos of the wiring round the stator so you know what goes where just in case something comes undone. I'm pleased for you in getting out the rivets. Onward my friend, onward Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Thackers
Thackers

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum