LUNA OWNERS CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Lui 125 conversion

+13
siobhanellis
boozee
Snails
daz.h
li mick
gc
itsjoeyfontane
NIGE
wack 63
Thackers
zefarelly
vegagirl
Staffy (Gareth)
17 posters

Page 7 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

My Lui 125 conversion - Page 7 Empty Re: My Lui 125 conversion

Post  gc Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:56 am

Casa ones fit easily (mine did anyway on a chromed tank). Get one and something might go well for you for a change.
gc
gc

Back to top Go down

My Lui 125 conversion - Page 7 Empty tank rubber

Post  li mick Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:11 pm

I fitted my original tank rubber, it was a bit of a pig to do but as said before leave to soak in hot water then stretch it before trying to fit.it took me about three attempts before it finally went on, but it did in the end.

li mick

Back to top Go down

Post  daz.h Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:16 pm

did it trap your fingers mick ?
mine were swines to get on,Evil or Very Mad  I have since used a cassa item, and went on without even breaking sweat Smile and that was with still having two original trims in the shed.
daz.h
daz.h

Back to top Go down

My Lui 125 conversion - Page 7 Empty petrol tank rubber

Post  li mick Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:36 pm

i did have sore fingers Smile  but i didn't want to buy another knowing i have a perfectly good one already,i thought that when i was stretching it that if it broke then i would have to have a new one,but i got away with it.

li mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:24 am

Actually it fitted really easily once I'd heated it up!Very Happy 

It does have a bit of a nic in it so i will probably replace eventually but it will do for now!
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  Thackers Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:37 am

Ed' it sounds like the trim I was out bid on Ebay, i'm glad it went to a good home cheers 
I need the trim (always have) but i'm just too tight fisted to buy a new one Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes same applies to a rear shock affraid
Thackers
Thackers

Back to top Go down

Post  gc Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:55 pm

Wouldn't think you'll get a good shock cheap now Thackers. New ones are a fair price so bite the bullet and get one if you need one for your bike. Same goes for the trim - remade ones are a fair price and easy to fit.
gc
gc

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:29 pm

Sorry thackers but it is. Smile

I do think the remade ones at 18 notes are a bit on the steep side

Would love a new shock as we but just don't have money at the mo. One day!
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:11 am

I'm getting pretty excited again as I think I am nearly ready to have another go at starting the Lui. I've even been the petrol station today and purchased my two litres of petrol.Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked 

Now I just need to sort out the throttle cable. The current set I have means that I have to have a bobbin on the cable at the card end. Not ideal as its not easily accessible to tighten up and the smallest bobbin I have does not fit easily into the cup holder. I think that the throttle cable inner adn out should be fitted as a complete item and that as I was unwilling to strip it down when I last replaced the throttle inner I cut the end off the inner cable and reversed it so i could thread it down from the handle bars. Anyway I dont think i am doing it right and I'm thinking I may need to replace both inner and out cable Sad

My Lui 125 conversion - Page 7 10946178495_2e8d38c6bf_z

I've got to route the fuel hose as well. Vega's seem to have a clip on the rear mudguard for this but mine does not - a shame as I have a spare which does in the loft. Wish I'd noticed this before hand Shocked 

I've also had to sort out some slight headset fitting problems with my cut down handlebars but that was quite easy in the end.

Lastly I think I have a solution to my rear light issues. I have a Vega rear light that was reconditioned by Dave Booth and has a bulb holder with two wires coming out of it. I think it should be relatively easy to replace this with a new bulb holder that has screw terminals:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121090442102?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

and then find some sort of rubber boot off another motorbike that might fit Shocked 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Banjo-Bolt-Rubber-Boot-Cover-New-/130648404921?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item1e6b4073b9

Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  daz.h Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:46 am

the clip on the rear mudguard is not for the fuel pipe snails, its actually there for the oil pipe on a cometa, and hence why the lui's never got them fitted.
daz.h
daz.h

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:05 am

Ah thanks Daz, I was looking at your project pictures which is where I saw that you used it for your fuel pipe Very Happy 
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  daz.h Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:03 am

like to keep things tidy and tucked away, hence why another was added to the other side for the loom wires.
daz.h
daz.h

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:18 am

Good idea Daz! I could of done with that idea as well! :)Oh well.

Sorted the rear brake light switch. I was just being a bit blonde in regards to the spade sizes and they just needed a bit more force Smile. The other good news is that its running again Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool 

I'm getting very excited as I don't think I have much left to do

Fit rear brake pedal (I bet that's a joy!) does the square rubber fit on the brake pedel itself or on the leggies? Its the pedal from memory.
Sort out brakes
Sort out lights
Realign front wheel a bit
Fix speedo face
Chrome kickstart
Chrome or powder coat front light rim
Put a few more parts on.

My light rim is in pretty good shape but has unfortunately has some engraving on it  - leaves and stuff - not my sort of thing at all and not in tune with the bikes style. Anyone want to swap a spare or something? Clutching at straws I know but if you don't ask you don't get!
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  daz.h Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:43 am

pedal square rubber goes down the pedal and sits against the legsheilds when the pedal is at rest.
don't put on the brake pedal rubber until the pedal has been fitted or you wont get it through the opening in the legsheilds.
daz.h
daz.h

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:00 am

Also I cant seem to remember what secured the inner cable at the pedal end for the rear brake. Its a very unusal set up - what with the large bullet like thing at the end. Any clues?

Also should there be a top hat for the both ends of the rear brake outer?

My Lui 125 conversion - Page 7 11068234856_c120ff32b0_z

Lastly did I say I was excited at getting it finished? I'm not any more as getting my headlight rim to fit looks like being a pig of a job as its not even close. Quite surprised really as it looked in ok condition and its not like you should have the problems that GP's have since there are not loads of variations and manufacturers to juggle with
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  daz.h Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:37 pm

there is a metal bush in the brake pedal, the cable passes through that also, you are correct that there are 2 top hats for the outer cable, one is in the crank casing and the other on one of the frame struts
daz.h
daz.h

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:25 am

Found it thanks Daz - its what I was assuming was the rear brake 'bobin'

Fitted the rear brake pedal without too much fuss. Certainly about 1% of the time needed to get the blasted thing off in the first instance!
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:04 am

More frustration!

Decided to wire up front light only to realise that the bulb holder I'd intended to use was the Aprilia variety and my lens is CEV. No matter I thought I've got another, lets look, that's CEV..only to realise why it is I wasn't using it - its got a couple of missing parts that help seat the black cables.

My Lui 125 conversion - Page 7 11222068703_af9debedd6_z

Any suggestions as to how to repair these? I can think of a bodge which would be to cable block the black wires together and then run another wire from the cable block to earth. Not ideal as would add more congestion to a crowded space and might well rattle around but would it work?

I also have some other lenses but they are all knackered one way or the other, if they are the right type I might be able to salvage parts of them to make one item but I think that looks like a really tough job!
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  Thackers Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:56 pm

Ed, could you just glue the wires in place? As long as they touch the metal strip on the underside of the holder the connection should be enough. Or glue the 2 into the holes and solder between the 3 earth points on the top (just a reverse of the back)
Thackers
Thackers

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:23 am

Yeah I was wondering whether I could keep them in place some how as the strip is in place and in good condition. The thing putting me off was the u thought without the metal holders any backward movement caused by vibration would lead to the lights flickering or stopping. Your solder idea might fix that though Smile
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:02 am

I've connected up the rest of the headlight unit and got nothing working bar the ignition cut off - the completeness of this failure suggests to me that its earth related. For an earth I've got a white wire running from the festoon connector on the left hand side to underneath one of the four headstock bolts.
I've glued in the middle of the black three connections with the wire from the rear light and have the other black wire connected in the top of the 3 black connections pictured. Should there also be a black wire running from the 3rd and last of the three black connectors in my picture above to the other festoon connector (dead centre of my picture)? I'm pretty sure I got something like this with the loom from Beedspeed but cant find that either now! Sad Shocked Rolling Eyes 
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

My Lui 125 conversion - Page 7 Empty 125 conversion

Post  itsjoeyfontane Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:53 pm

..your bulb holder sounds like a bodge..bin it...

..check your white earth...make sure it connects to the white blob nearest the bulb...
good luck.. Wink 
itsjoeyfontane
itsjoeyfontane

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:20 am

I'd like to bin it, unfortunately I dont have a replacement.

My plan is to use my spare Aprilia unit to check my set up and by then hopefully another CEV unit will turn up or I will be able to work out how to bodge the CEV together so that it works
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  gc Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:45 am

At the risk of sounding thick-are you wanting to use the whitish coloured bulb holder unit? If so,isn't this identical to the ones used on GP's?
gc
gc

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:16 am

Yeah the white one - I have no idea if its the same as a GP item, although it would be very good if it is!
Snails
Snails

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next